Ohio State has finished top 4 twice without making playoffs

Dedicated to Nathan, a badass little Duck!

Moderator: JdPat04

Re: Ohio State has finished top 4 twice without making play

Postby CraigKressel » January 9th, 2019, 4:16 pm

Jezter13 wrote:
CraigKressel wrote:
Jezter13 wrote:Only because I'm relatively new here and don't quite know the personas,

The O.P. is under the impression that after the playoffs are over; that it would/should naturally have shaken out that only the top 4 playoff teams remained the top 4 just in a potentially different order based on the playoff outcomes?

No I am not under that impression but isn't it funny how the committee is supposed to be picking the best 4 teams, if they did their job correctly why would it change?

so, when #1 knocks off #4 and #2 knocks off #3, as it happened in real time, those two teams that lost shouldn't have changed? and only Bama should have slid down a spot and Clemson moving up their slot due to the title?

It changed because everyone knew ND would get whipped, everyone knew OU had no defense yet Ohio State was left out, I personally think its because they did not want Bama or Clemson to lose to them. Haskins would torch that shitty Bama secondary, not saying I think Ohio State would win but they were better than OU and ND easily.
CraigKressel

Team Logo:
Ohio St Buckeyes

Postby Jezter13 » January 9th, 2019, 4:37 pm

CraigKressel wrote:
Jezter13 wrote:
CraigKressel wrote:
Jezter13 wrote:Only because I'm relatively new here and don't quite know the personas,

The O.P. is under the impression that after the playoffs are over; that it would/should naturally have shaken out that only the top 4 playoff teams remained the top 4 just in a potentially different order based on the playoff outcomes?

No I am not under that impression but isn't it funny how the committee is supposed to be picking the best 4 teams, if they did their job correctly why would it change?

so, when #1 knocks off #4 and #2 knocks off #3, as it happened in real time, those two teams that lost shouldn't have changed? and only Bama should have slid down a spot and Clemson moving up their slot due to the title?

It changed because everyone knew ND would get whipped, everyone knew OU had no defense yet Ohio State was left out, I personally think its because they did not want Bama or Clemson to lose to them. Haskins would torch that shitty Bama secondary, not saying I think Ohio State would win but they were better than OU and ND easily.

no. it is because the wins and losses of the regular season should and do matter.

osu played the 71st ranked Tougest Schedule. Or as I would call it, the 59th EASIEST schedule in NCAA football.

osu Lost to perdue whom had the 34th toughest schedule and finished with a losing record at 6-7.

to add some perspective

Clemson played the #2 toughest, UGA #4, Bama #7, OU #19, Shame #19 and Michigan #21. These are all based in cumulative winning % and nothing more. and all from the official NCAA stats not espn or anything like that.

there is not a singular reason for osu to have been considered a top 4 team prior to the teams that lost in the playoffs. and to be quite honest, no reason for them to be ranked that high either at the end.

but, name recognition matters and that is the only reason for their ranking. had UGA shown up they would be #4 with OU at #3.
Jezter13

Team Logo:
Miami Hurricanes

Postby FSUKW » January 9th, 2019, 4:39 pm

CraigKressel wrote:
Jezter13 wrote:
CraigKressel wrote:

BAMA and Clemson would have destroyed Ohio State. Probably Oklahoma as well. Your schedule sucked and you let shitty teams hang with (and beat) you.

ND got in because 1) they were undefeated and 2) Committee screwed things up by letting BAMA in last year without going to CCG.
FSUKW

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby Jezter13 » January 9th, 2019, 5:07 pm

FSUKW wrote:
CraigKressel wrote:
Jezter13 wrote:
CraigKressel wrote:

BAMA and Clemson would have destroyed Ohio State. Probably Oklahoma as well. Your schedule sucked and you let shitty teams hang with (and beat) you.

ND got in because 1) they were undefeated and 2) Committee screwed things up by letting BAMA in last year without going to CCG.

incorrect, it is about brand. notre Shame is given special privileges. it is garbage and just another in a long line of shite that is wrong with the ncaa

no different than why osu finished in the top 4 after a garbage year.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 432119002/
Jezter13

Team Logo:
Miami Hurricanes

Postby FSUKW » January 9th, 2019, 5:28 pm

Jezter13 wrote:
FSUKW wrote:
CraigKressel wrote:
Jezter13 wrote:
CraigKressel wrote:

incorrect, it is about brand. notre Shame is given special privileges. it is garbage and just another in a long line of shite that is wrong with the ncaa

no different than why osu finished in the top 4 after a garbage year.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/n ... 432119002/

Yes agree that the whole ND set up is garbage, but ND has pretty much been told you have to be undefeated. That brand is basically worthless with 1 loss. Since BAMA was let in last year without a CCG and 1 loss, I had no problem with undefeated ND getting in. I would prefer neither of those two get in under those circumstances.

They play 5 ACC teams annually plus Stanford and USC every year. They played Michigan, Vanderbilt and Northwestern this year. They should be forced to join a conference, but we know what is driving that.

***ordinarily that is a somewhat impressive schedule. ND cannot help that FSU and USC shit the bed. Vandy is Vandy, but still SEC. Northwestern was a Big 10 West Div Champion.
FSUKW

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Previous

Return to College Football