Captain goes down with the ship

Dedicated to Nathan, a badass little Duck!

Moderator: JdPat04

Captain goes down with the ship

Postby bigbluebazooka » October 30th, 2018, 8:16 am

It’s getting tiring to say just how disappointing the Miami Hurricanes’ 2018 season has been. It seems like an eternity ago that this team was a preseason top 10 squad and looked poised, not only to win the Coastal (a relative cakewalk we all imagined) but to compete with Clemson for a playoff spot. The offense was stocked with weapons, the defense looked solid and N’Kosi Perry was assumed to be ready to take the reins sooner rather than later.

As October turns to November, we find the former two things to still be true. The defense has, mostly, been excellent this year and the offense has a plethora of weapons even after Ahmmon Richards’ career ending injury. But three things keep coming back, the trio of season-wrecking obstacles that has caused a massive regression. QB play, offensive line play and most frustrating, Mark Richt himself.

In 2014, Al Golden started freshman Brad Kaaya to save his job, as an excuse for when the team eventually struggled with a player straight out of high school leading them. In 2018, Richt refuses to give redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry the starting job, despite the painfully obvious conclusion that Perry is the only one who can run the offense.

Richt’s insistence that Malik Rosier gives Miami the best chance to win games has one of two possible explanations. He is either outright lying and trying to cover for the fact that for some reason, Perry is in the doghouse. Or, far worse, he is so unable to make competent decisions that he truly believes Rosier is the right player for the starting job. Even as the senior has proven time and time again to be unable to make consistently good decisions, throw with accuracy and timing and have the requisite arm strength to play QB, Richt has stuck by him.

The question from here on out, one that will likely need to be answered by the time this season mercifully ends, is whether Richt is worth keeping around. There has been a lot of good. Many saw The U as back after last season’s 10 wins. Richt’s excellence as a recruiter, especially in South Florida, should not go unnoticed. But his horrible play-calling, ineffective offensive coaching staff (his son at QB coach, OL coach Stacy Searels) and botching of the QB situation also should not go unpunished.

Is it too early to talk about firing him? Probably. If Miami ends the year 7-5 or 6-6, possible when this offense barely looks capable of scoring more than 20 points against an ACC opponent, then the talks of Richt not making it to the 2019 season may escalate. Even if Miami manages to finish 9-3 or 8-4, changes must be made but not necessarily at head coach. Richt must give up the playcaller role and find a capable offensive coordinator. He must fire his son and get a QB coach who can develop his signal callers. He’s got to dig deeper into offensive line coaches who are available and find one who can do a better job developing what Miami has.

Richt must be willing to accept responsibility for this disastrous season. He has said over and over in post-game press conferences how he takes the blame for the loss. Yet, he has shown that he is not willing to change his coaching strategy to right the path. Richt has to show the ability to change, and fast, or Miami will need to find another new coach sooner rather than later.

https://www.stateoftheu.com/2018/10/29/ ... RwxoAwO3YA
bigbluebazooka

Team Logo:
Miami Hurricanes

Re: Captain goes down with the ship

Postby FSUKW » October 30th, 2018, 1:51 pm

Ruthless fans..... :dog

Man gives you:

-10 win season
-Coastal Champs
-Beat FSU twice - (well once, refs won this years game.... :dog )

Golden got 5 years, Shannon got 4 years and they never won the division or put up 10 wins. Richt gets at least 5 years IMO. Gotta get his kid out of there. There is no record of Jon Richt prior to 2014. Did he even play football?
FSUKW

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby bigbluebazooka » October 30th, 2018, 4:19 pm

FSUKW wrote:Ruthless fans..... :dog

Man gives you:

-10 win season
-Coastal Champs
-Beat FSU twice - (well once, refs won this years game.... :dog )

Golden got 5 years, Shannon got 4 years and they never won the division or put up 10 wins. Richt gets at least 5 years IMO. Gotta get his kid out of there. There is no record of Jon Richt prior to 2014. Did he even play football?

Beating FSU the last two years isn’t saying much. :dog
Shannon and Golden weren’t paid like CMR is. And I think the article is pretty spot on. We’ll see how the season plays out. We didn’t hire CMR to lose to UVA and BC like we did.
bigbluebazooka

Team Logo:
Miami Hurricanes

Postby bigbluebazooka » November 3rd, 2018, 11:02 am

PITT had no problem beating UVA. :facepalm
bigbluebazooka

Team Logo:
Miami Hurricanes

Postby bigbluebazooka » November 3rd, 2018, 11:22 pm

Tecmo bowl offense :drunk
bigbluebazooka

Team Logo:
Miami Hurricanes

Postby bigbluebazooka » November 3rd, 2018, 11:56 pm

This game is becoming a mud fest :dog
bigbluebazooka

Team Logo:
Miami Hurricanes

Postby bigbluebazooka » November 4th, 2018, 1:57 am

And we lose to Dook :facepalm
bigbluebazooka

Team Logo:
Miami Hurricanes

Postby Eye_of_Horus » November 4th, 2018, 2:24 pm

:thought

:dog
Eye_of_Horus

Team Logo:
Ole Miss Rebels

Postby bigbluebazooka » November 6th, 2018, 10:13 am

Bobby Bowden says his son Jeff’s tenure as his offensive coordinator at Florida State was “the most difficult time” of his career.

That period was capped by a heart wrenching final few months in 2006 in which the FSU fan base turned on Bobby for the first time in his legendary career, mainly because of his loyalty to his son.

Miami Hurricanes coach Mark Richt, who worked under Bowden for 15 seasons at Florida State, is getting a feel for what his mentor went through more than a decade ago. The Hurricanes’ offense has sunk to unexpected depths and in the center of the social media firestorm is the head coach, his offensive coordinator Thomas Brown and his son, 28-year-old Jon, the Hurricanes’ quarterback coach.

“You’re going to catch that,” Bowden said during a phone interview Monday. “That’s what I caught. Anytime something goes wrong what can we say it is? Well, let’s take the coaches son.”

Bowden, who turns 89 Thursday, rattled off games in which Jeff, who ironically replaced Richt as the Seminoles’ offensive coordinator in 2001 when Richt left for Georgia, was the scapegoat, the most memorable being against Miami in 2002 when FSU squandered a 27-14 lead in the final quarter, losing 28-27.

“Who do you think they blamed?” Bowden said.

“I used to tell my sons, ‘It’s the nature of game, if you can’t handle it get out of it.’”

Finally, following a humiliating 30-0 home loss to Wake Forest late in the 2006 season, FSU’s first loss to Wake in Tallahassee in 47 years, Jeff walked into his parents’ house and offered his resignation, even as his father attempted to talk him out of it.

“I felt a lot of it was my fault because I would butt in on him a lot and make him change plays and things like that,” Bowden said. “So, I was probably as much to blame as he was.

“But, if you hire a member of your family and are not real successful they are going to get on it. They did me that way and do other coaches that way. And like I say, it’s the nature of the job.”

Richt hears the criticism, but insists it’s just outside noise that will not have any impact on him doing his job. But that noise has become deafening since Miami dropped its third consecutive game Saturday, losing 20-12 Duke at home, a skid squarely on the shoulders of an offense – specifically the passing game - that has regressed to depths not seen at UM in more than a decade.

UM has managed 39 points in its last three games, the fewest in a three-game stretch since 2007, Randy Shannon’s first year as head coach, when it had 28 in its final three games combined. Those 39 points are tied with Rutgers for the fewest among all Power Five schools in their last three games.

Meanwhile, Miami’s passing offense is ranked 101st nationally, with 193.2 yards per game. The Hurricanes have yet to total 260 yards through the air in nine games.

The biggest issue - though not the problem exclusively - has been the quarterback play.

Jon Richt does not call the plays, as Jeff Bowden did at the end of his run with his father. Mark Richt continues to handle that duty.

Jon is not the offensive coordinator, as Jeff was for six seasons. That title belongs to Brown.

But he is the progeny of the head coach. And not helping his cause is he was handed the duties of developing quarterbacks with very little experience, working one year for his dad at Georgia as a quality control coach and one year as an offensive assistant with the Buffalo Bills.

The Richts inherited a seasoned Brad Kaaya their first year at Miami and everything was terrific with Kaaya having his best season. Year 2 started solid, too, with Malik Rosier helping the Canes get off to a 10-0 start before the cracks started to show late in the season.

But with fifth-year senior Rosier not progressing, redshirt freshman N’Kosi Perry showing he’s not ready to lead a quality offense and the staff showing no trust in true freshman Jarren Williams, the wheels have come off at the position this year with Richt toggling back and forth between his quarterbacks looking for some semblense of an offense.

Richt acknowledge Monday on his radio show he hears the criticism and even said he understands the frustration.

“I feel it because I want to win,” he said. “I feel it because I want our guys to succeed, I want things to go well. This is a great place. We’ve done a lot of great things, we’re taking this program in a really positive direction and you get this more than a bump in a road and it’s frustrating.

“Anybody who takes pride in what they do when things don’t go well it bothers them. You stay up longer and you work harder and try to find answers.”

Any coach who hires his son knows the move will be scrutinized and met with skepticism, whether it’s Bowden or Steve Spurrier or the many others who employ a son (or relative) on his staff. The question always will be if he earned the position or if he’s there only because of blood.

Not helping is many of those hires require navigating nepotism rules. And some are even challenged, which was the case at UConn when a Superior Court judge ruled on Thursday that the university did not violate state ethics codes when it hired coach Randy Edsall’s son, Corey, to be tight ends coach after a Citizen’s Ethics Advisory Board had ruled the university had violated ethics laws.

Jeff Bowden was elevated from receiver coach when he took over as offensive coordinator. In his first season as the OC, the offense averaged 123 fewer yards than the previous year. In his final year, FSU averaged 330 yards per game, its lowest in 32 years.

Miami is on this pace for its worst season through the air since 2007 and Mark Richt then would have plenty of soul searching to do when the season ends. Coaching changes are inevitable on the offensive side and they could start with Brown.

But Richt then may have to make a very difficult decision that he probably believed he never would be facing.

Removing his son from the staff would be the toughest thing Richt would have to do in his career. Especially since bringing him on board was as much about a family bonding as it was about football. Jon and his family having to move would be gut wrenching for his parents.

Chances are Mark will find a way around this, either by giving Jon more time as the QB coach or perhaps reassigning him. But if he does, he better be prepared for inevitable criticism when things do not go as planned.

Bowden, for one, believes Richt will make the right decision.

“Mark has coached long enough that I think he knows what to do,” Bowden said. “I think in time he will get it done.

“To me all he needs is a great quarterback instead of just a good one.”

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/sports/20 ... successful
bigbluebazooka

Team Logo:
Miami Hurricanes

Postby FuckESPNdotCOM » November 6th, 2018, 9:47 pm

:aup
I thought N'Kosi Perry was the messiah? LOL

Even though Richt sucks and I hate Miami(FL), I don't blame that scoring statistic solely on him - the Duke game was a mud bath, not a real game. The NCSU/ND game a year or two ago had the same issue.
FuckESPNdotCOM

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby bigbluebazooka » November 6th, 2018, 10:24 pm

FuckESPNdotCOM wrote::aup

Even though Richt sucks and I hate Miami(FL), I don't blame that scoring statistic solely on him - the Duke game was a mud bath, not a real game. The NCSU/ND game a year or two ago had the same issue.

He was after he lead us back against FSU. :D
I don’t know what happened after that. To me. It looks like offense is to easy to predict. Shutout the 2nd half the last two games I’m looking at coaching. I’ve seen better offenses under Golden and Shannon. Sad.
bigbluebazooka

Team Logo:
Miami Hurricanes

Postby Muck FcDisney » November 6th, 2018, 11:42 pm

bigbluebazooka wrote:

I don’t know what happened after that. To me. It looks like offense is to easy to predict. Shutout the 2nd half the last two games I’m looking at coaching. I’ve seen better offenses under Golden and Shannon. Sad.

Are you developing Richtophobia? :shock:
Muck FcDisney

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby bigbluebazooka » November 6th, 2018, 11:58 pm

Muck FcDisney wrote:
bigbluebazooka wrote:

It’s getting contagious in south Florida. Even the 3 star croots are running away. :facepalm
bigbluebazooka

Team Logo:
Miami Hurricanes

Postby Muck FcDisney » November 7th, 2018, 8:11 pm

bigbluebazooka wrote:
Muck FcDisney wrote:
bigbluebazooka wrote:

It’s getting contagious in south Florida. Even the 3 star croots are running away. :facepalm

Who cares? Ed Reed was a 2-star. :pimp
Muck FcDisney

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Return to College Football