FSU Coaching Staff

Dedicated to Nathan, a badass little Duck!

Moderator: JdPat04

Re: FSU Coaching Staff

Postby Carr2Cooper » January 25th, 2018, 1:30 pm

Anyone who says Mullen was the best Miss St coach clearly hasn't watched football for long.... Everyone knows Jackie Sherrill is
Carr2Cooper

Team Logo:
South Alabama Jaguars

Postby Muck FcDisney » January 25th, 2018, 3:22 pm

Carr2Cooper wrote:Anyone who says Mullen was Miss St coach clearly hasn't watched football for long.... Everyone knows Jackie Sherrill is

Mullen has obviously been the silent super secret coach of the Patriots for 15-20 years. :2thumbs
Muck FcDisney

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby FSUKW » January 25th, 2018, 4:03 pm

Anyone who’s says our coaching staff has little P5 experience is not worthy of message board posting.
FSUKW

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby Carr2Cooper » January 26th, 2018, 12:25 am

Muck FcDisney wrote:
Carr2Cooper wrote:Anyone who says Mullen was Miss St coach clearly hasn't watched football for long.... Everyone knows Jackie Sherrill is

Mullen has obviously been the silent super secret coach of the Patriots for 15-20 years. :2thumbs

I fixed my error...
Carr2Cooper

Team Logo:
South Alabama Jaguars

Postby ericberry14 » January 26th, 2018, 1:15 am

I cant believe this has gone 6 pages :facepalm
ericberry14
Site Admin

Team Logo:
Ohio St Buckeyes

Postby 08GatorBait » January 26th, 2018, 2:26 am

Carr2Cooper wrote:Anyone who says Mullen was the best Miss St coach clearly hasn't watched football for long.... Everyone knows Jackie Sherrill is

Sherrill was inconsistent. You thinking he is better than Mullen shows you actually don't watch football. Sherrill had four good years in thirteen. HE played in a FAR weaker SEC West when LSU was down till the tail end(when Sherill started going 3-8), Alabama was down for half his tenure, Ole Miss got Eli and suddenly he sucked. West was a joke when he had his success. Before that, he was a 4-6 win coach.

Mullen is the best coach in MIss State history. Better win percentage. More bowls. SHerill won the West, going 8-5. Something impossible for Mullen to do because Saban was at Bama EVERY year Mullen was at Miss State. Mullen faced all time great Auburn, LSU, and Bama teams. He faced off against five different Heisman winners while at Miss State.

Notice no one mentions Franklin at Vandy and his records? Why? Because it's Vandy. THAT is the same level program as Miss State.

Sherrill's overall record. 75-75-2

To say he is better than Mullen only further proves your lack of football knowledge.
08GatorBait

Team Logo:
Florida Gators

Postby 08GatorBait » January 26th, 2018, 2:45 am

FSUKW wrote:Anyone who’s says our coaching staff has little P5 experience is not worthy of message board posting.

It does.

And the ones with experience....aren't that good. See your pathetically bad offensive coordinator.

Let's just break down the FSU coaching staff completely

HC - Unknown - He did well for two years at USF. He was also on the brink of being fired there as well at one point. Wasn't an elite recruiter till Oregon. Had the best recruiter in the country in Cristobal with him. We shall see if he is elite now. He could be great, but there is no evidence to suggest he WILL be great. It's an unknown.

Defensive line - Haggins - One of the best coaches on the staff. Very strong recruiter.

OC - Walt Bell - Four years as an actual coach at FBS level. 2 years OC at FBS level. Neither year was he better than the previous OC at Maryland. This is not a good hire there is zero way to spin it as good.

WR - David Kelly - Good recruiter..but weird hire overall. He has moved around but never really moved up..so should tell you something about him.

Special Teams - Alonzo Hampton - Zero power five experience. No real recruiting history to say good or bad I can see. So..yea. No special teams history as well. I'd assume hired for his skin color.

Greg Frey - Oline coach - 110th ranked recruiter. Not terrible, not elite. His offensive line's have been solid. Good hire, but not Earth shattering by any means.

Defensive ends - Mark Snyder - Very good hire

Line backers coach - Raymond Woodie - Good hire.

RB coach - Donte Pimpleton - Experience is lacking. Okay but not great recruiter.

Telly Lockette - TE Coach - Very little experience. Commit list shows average recruiter. Not a good hire.

Overall. This is not a great staff. Compared to Jimbo's title winning staff...well there is none.
08GatorBait

Team Logo:
Florida Gators

Postby FSUKW » January 26th, 2018, 4:56 am

Our new OC has more experience being an OC than Dan Mullen did when he came to UF. Double standard much? He is considered a bright young up and comer.

You said “little P5 experience” (which is dumb and I already addressed it) but then you proceed to counter it with your “opinion”. LOL

Dan Mullen will be the new Mark Richt of the sec east. LOL
FSUKW

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby 08GatorBait » January 26th, 2018, 6:32 am

Difference? Mullen didn't have a sub 100 ranked offense and produced a first overall draft pick.

Not remotely a double standard. Mullen was far better at his previous job before UF. Your experience is very much lacking, compared to UF's it isn't remotely close.

Will he? Richt never coached at a terrible program. He started at a gold mine and failed. Mullen coached at the second worst program historically in the SEC. In the West, which during his time was the best division in football, with one of the three best dynasties of CFB history.

Little different paths. He could be. But he raised the standard at Miss State significantly. If he can win 8 games at Miss State in a loaded SEC west. He can easily win 11 at UF with an East with literally Georgia and the nobodies. We know his offense works at UF. We know his coaches can work with less talent and perform well in the SEC. The biggest question for Mullen is recruiting. He's done pretty decently so far especially when including adding two big time transfers. Not recruiting per say, but it's still convincing kids to come to you over others.

Both staff's have questions, UF just has less.

Robinson is unproven as a LB coach. He is a question mark. The rest have shown it at the Power Five level. Johnson is a QB coach who was the OC for one of the top 20 offenses in the country. We just added Larry Scott as well as TE coach. Even more experience, and proven recruiter and TE developer.

So let's just grade. I'll try to be fair about them but it's going to be somewhat biased obviously

HC - UF - Mullen is just more proven. Upside to Taggart could be more, but right now. No evidence he should be considered better as of this day.
OC - Tie - UF has Mullen calling plays, FSU has Taggart. I'd take Mullen. UF though doesn't have a true OC. So FSU wins that. So splits
DC - UF - More because no one really knows how good Harlon is since he has never been a sole cord. He could be better, Grantham does have third and Grantham tagged to him after all. But Harlon has only been a Co-Cord. He could be elite, he could be average. We shall see. Grantham did very well at Miss State though.
WR - UF
TE - UF by a large margin
Oline - FSU
Dline - Tie. Both groups best hires IMO
Secondary - FSU - UF added two younger black guys here similar to a few FSU hires for recruiting purposes.
Rb coach - Florida
QB Coach - UF
08GatorBait

Team Logo:
Florida Gators

Postby Muck FcDisney » January 26th, 2018, 2:16 pm

Everyone has bad things to say about Walt Bell.

https://www.landof10.com/maryland/maryl ... h-one-goal
http://www.umterps.com/ViewArticle.dbml ... =210593996
https://www.testudotimes.com/maryland-t ... red-durkin

There's a reason he has already been offered head coaching jobs.

"But...but...but after losing his top 2 QBs by the 1st quarter of the 3rd game, and playing a walk-on by the end of the year means he sucks!" I wonder if some people follow football at all. :dog
Muck FcDisney

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby FSUKW » January 26th, 2018, 3:48 pm

08GatorBait wrote:Difference? Mullen didn't have a sub 100 ranked offense and produced a first overall draft pick.

Not remotely a double standard. Mullen was far better at his previous job before UF. Your experience is very much lacking, compared to UF's it isn't remotely close.

Will he? Richt never coached at a terrible program. He started at a gold mine and failed. Mullen coached at the second worst program historically in the SEC. In the West, which during his time was the best division in football, with one of the three best dynasties of CFB history.

Little different paths. He could be. But he raised the standard at Miss State significantly. If he can win 8 games at Miss State in a loaded SEC west. He can easily win 11 at UF with an East with literally Georgia and the nobodies. We know his offense works at UF. We know his coaches can work with less talent and perform well in the SEC. The biggest question for Mullen is recruiting. He's done pretty decently so far especially when including adding two big time transfers. Not recruiting per say, but it's still convincing kids to come to you over others.

Robinson is unproven as a LB coach. He is a question mark. The rest have shown it at the Power Five level. Johnson is a QB coach who was the OC for one of the top 20 offenses in the country. We just added Larry Scott as well as TE coach. Even more experience, and proven recruiter and TE developer.

So let's just grade. I'll try to be fair about them but it's going to be somewhat biased obviously

HC - UF - Mullen is just more proven. Upside to Taggart could be more, but right now. No evidence he should be considered better as of this day.
OC - Tie - UF has Mullen calling plays, FSU has Taggart. I'd take Mullen. UF though doesn't have a true OC. So FSU wins that. So splits
DC - UF - More because no one really knows how good Harlon is since he has never been a sole cord. He could be better, Grantham does have third and Grantham tagged to him after all. But Harlon has only been a Co-Cord. He could be elite, he could be average. We shall see. Grantham did very well at Miss State though.
WR - UF
Oline - FSU
Secondary - FSU - UF added two younger black guys here similar to a few FSU hires for recruiting purposes.
Rb coach - Florida
QB Coach - UF

You seriously need to start including "in my opinion" with your posts.

1) you are missing the entire point about Mullen prior to UF. He did not accomplish anything prior to Meyer hiring him because he was never an OC. UF was his first. Point is he was not an accomplished OC as you are trying to make out. He had Alex Smith at Utah and TIm Tebow at UF even though he was not an OC the Utah. Your trying to down play Bell's accomplishments and experience and he has more experience than Mullen did (in a harder conference than Mullen did at Utah - even though not an OC). Look how Mullen turned out. Bell is highly regarded but at the end of the day he has to learn - like Mullen did.

2) "8 wins in a loaded SEC West" - LOL So he wins his 4 shitty OOC games and generally loses to BAMA/LSU/AUBURN every year and randomly splits A&M and Ole Miss Arky. I think a lot of coaches could do that.

3) I appreciate your effort. You are making a claim and trying to back it up. Not a lot of posters do that so............ :2thumbs
FSUKW

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby Muck FcDisney » January 26th, 2018, 8:09 pm

FuckESPNdotCOM wrote:
08GatorBait wrote:https://www.mydaytondailynews.com/sports/college/when-comes-dan-mullen-willie-taggart-florida-beat-florida-state-coaching-search/OQxnrobEGXo7jmUfRPyCyH/

Unbiased comparison of hires...

By Will Miles of SEC Country, Gators '04 and VT '09 according to his Twitter profile. Clearly unbiased. :biglol

Holy shit. He went full retard! :ROFL2
Muck FcDisney

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby FuckESPNdotCOM » January 26th, 2018, 8:30 pm

Muck FcDisney wrote:
FuckESPNdotCOM wrote:
08GatorBait wrote:https://www.mydaytondailynews.com/sports/college/when-comes-dan-mullen-willie-taggart-florida-beat-florida-state-coaching-search/OQxnrobEGXo7jmUfRPyCyH/

By Will Miles of SEC Country, Gators '04 and VT '09 according to his Twitter profile. Clearly unbiased. :biglol

Hey! It was the first time in many years you could find "Florida beat Florida State" in an article. It's not his fault he can't bother to do a 10-second background check into the author before calling it unbiased. Chip Kelly is a great hire for UF. Anyone that thinks it isn't is a dummy!
FuckESPNdotCOM

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby Muck FcDisney » January 26th, 2018, 9:40 pm

FuckESPNdotCOM wrote:
Muck FcDisney wrote:
FuckESPNdotCOM wrote:

Hey! It was the first time in many years you could find "Florida beat Florida State" in an article. It's not his fault he can't bother to do a 10-second background check into the author before calling it unbiased. Chip Kelly is a great hire for UF. Anyone that thinks it isn't is a dummy!

I wasn't even going to do a background check, "of SECt Cuntry" is all I needed to see.

I wonder if he thinks Commondreams, Shareblue, OccupyDemocrats, RedState, Conservative Treehouse, and Alex Jones are all unbiased.

(hint for another thread: I don't read any of those, but I do read/watch CNN... even if I'm not a cuck ;) )
Muck FcDisney

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby 08GatorBait » January 26th, 2018, 9:44 pm

FSUKW wrote:
08GatorBait wrote:Difference? Mullen didn't have a sub 100 ranked offense and produced a first overall draft pick.

WR - UF
Oline - FSU
Rb coach - Florida
QB Coach - UF

You seriously need to start including "in my opinion" with your posts.

1) you are missing the entire point about Mullen prior to UF. He did not accomplish anything prior to Meyer hiring him because he was never an OC. UF was his first. Point is he was not an accomplished OC as you are trying to make out. He had Alex Smith at Utah and TIm Tebow at UF even though he was not an OC the Utah. Your trying to down play Bell's accomplishments and experience and he has more experience than Mullen did (in a harder conference than Mullen did at Utah - even though not an OC). Look how Mullen turned out. Bell is highly regarded but at the end of the day he has to learn - like Mullen did.

2) "8 wins in a loaded SEC West" - LOL So he wins his 4 shitty OOC games and generally loses to BAMA/LSU/AUBURN every year and randomly splits A&M and Ole Miss Arky. I think a lot of coaches could do that.

3) I appreciate your effort. You are making a claim and trying to back it up. Not a lot of posters do that so............ :2thumbs

Bell's accomplishments? What you mean making Maryland's offense signficantly worse than before he got there? How is that an accomplishment...You want me to praise a coach for being dog shit? Are you serious right now? Bell is fucking awful.

Lot of coaches? Then why have none in the history of Miss State. There is a reason every list of top coaches have him in the top 25. Something Taggart, is not. Taggart couldn't even produce a winning record, and was close to being fired at USF his second year. He can't even recruit as well as you guys love to claim. Considering Holtz and Levitt recruited as good, he clearly isn't some recruiting mastermind. Oregon? Had a lot of kids, and will finish outside the top 10 around 17-19 right where they have been for years. Without Cristobal, he isn't an elite recruiter.

In the end. All I am saying is simple. FSU has a more unproven staff. Mullen is considered a very strong coach by many because he took a dreadful program and made them number 1 at one point. Should we say Campbell isn't good because Iowa State didn't finish strong? Should we claim Saban sucked at Mich State...never won anything big. Being at a program that bad it's impossible to build into elite status. No one has done that in CFB...in forever. Washington State is the last I recall.
08GatorBait

Team Logo:
Florida Gators

Postby FuckESPNdotCOM » January 26th, 2018, 9:57 pm

08GatorBait wrote:Being at a program that bad it's impossible to build into elite status. No one has done that in CFB...in forever.

Holy fuck, you're stupid.
Washington State is the last I recall.

Washington State isn't elite status, nor has it ever been, even when they had Ryan Leaf. Their bowl history could fit on a Post-It. There are CFB seasons that have more games than their entire bowl history dating back over 100 years.
FuckESPNdotCOM

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby Muck FcDisney » January 26th, 2018, 10:23 pm

08GatorBait wrote:Bell's accomplishments? What you mean making Maryland's offense signficantly worse than before he got there? How is that an accomplishment...You want me to praise a coach for being dog shit? Are you serious right now? Bell is fucking awful.

What part of 4th-string, walk-on QB do you not understand? :crazy

[ img ]
Muck FcDisney

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby Carr2Cooper » January 26th, 2018, 10:48 pm

08GatorBait wrote:
Carr2Cooper wrote:Anyone who says Mullen was the best Miss St coach clearly hasn't watched football for long.... Everyone knows Jackie Sherrill is

Sherrill was inconsistent. You thinking he is better than Mullen shows you actually don't watch football. Sherrill had four good years in thirteen. HE played in a FAR weaker SEC West when LSU was down till the tail end(when Sherill started going 3-8), Alabama was down for half his tenure, Ole Miss got Eli and suddenly he sucked. West was a joke when he had his success. Before that, he was a 4-6 win coach.

Mullen is the best coach in MIss State history. Better win percentage. More bowls. SHerill won the West, going 8-5. Something impossible for Mullen to do because Saban was at Bama EVERY year Mullen was at Miss State. Mullen faced all time great Auburn, LSU, and Bama teams. He faced off against five different Heisman winners while at Miss State.

Notice no one mentions Franklin at Vandy and his records? Why? Because it's Vandy. THAT is the same level program as Miss State.

Sherrill's overall record. 75-75-2

To say he is better than Mullen only further proves your lack of football knowledge.

Better win percentage? Shit I guess Greg Knox is GOAT!!!!!

Mullen is 32-38 against the SEC and do we need to bring up his record against top 25 teams? How about agaimst the top 3 teams in the SEC West? Mullen's best years are with dai Prescott at QB. It was the only time he ever won 10 games. Please keep believing this clown is your saving grace, but everyone else knows he is shit that feeds off bottom tier teams
Carr2Cooper

Team Logo:
South Alabama Jaguars

Postby FSUKW » January 26th, 2018, 11:39 pm

08GatorBait wrote:Bell's accomplishments? What you mean making Maryland's offense signficantly worse than before he got there? How is that an accomplishment...You want me to praise a coach for being dog shit? Are you serious right now? Bell is fucking awful.

Walt Bell, one of the most dynamic young offensive minds in college football, is now in his second season as Maryland's Offensive Coordinator.

Bell had an instant impact on the Terps offense as Maryland posted 173 points through its first four games in 2016 - a program record. Maryland saw improvements in nearly every offensive category in Bell's first year. The Terps averaged more points and yards per play, while also scoring more touchdowns, recording more first downs and cutting turnovers drastically from 2015.

Maryland's rushing offense perhaps saw the biggest boost under Bell's tutelage. The Terps rushing offense totaled 2,594 yards in 2016, marking just the seventh time in the history of the program (and first since 2003) the team eclipsed 2,500 yards on the ground. The team also posted 26 rushing touchdowns – the most since 2007.

Bell joined the Maryland staff after serving as offensive coordinator, assistant head coach and quarterbacks coach at Arkansas State from 2014-15. The Red Wolves ranked 12th nationally in scoring offense, averaging 40.0 points per game in 2015. In his 26 games overseeing the Arkansas State offense, the Red Wolves posted over 300 yards 24 times, over 400 yards 18 times and over 500 yards 11 times.

Bell helped Arkansas State placed eight offensive players on the 2015 All-Sun Belt Conference Team. Junior offensive linemen Jemar Clark and Colton Jackson, and senior wide receiver J.D. McKissic were first team all-conference selections.

In Bell’s first year at Arkansas State, the Red Wolves broke five school records on the offensive side of the ball. The high-tempo offense posted 6,194 yards of total offense, averaged 476.5 yards per game, ran 1,024 plays, scored 477 points and totaled 65 touchdowns. Bell’s offensive unit ranked among the top 45 teams in the nation in seven statistical categories, including scoring offense (No. 18), total offense (No. 20), rushing offense (No. 25), first downs (No. 30), completion percentage (No. 36), team passing efficiency (No. 38) and passing offense (No. 39).

Bell, who has been a part of 11 bowl games as either a coach or player, came to Arkansas State after spending the previous two seasons as North Carolina’s tight ends coach and recruiting coordinator. Bell was part of an offensive staff that helped North Carolina break over 35 school records.

Bell helped North Carolina average 432.4 total yards per game during the 2013 season. Coaching the tight ends position, he was part of a passing game that ranked 28th in the nation with an average of 277.4 yards per game. Bell also helped lead UNC to the 2012 Atlantic Coast Conference Coastal Division title, the same year the Tar Heels ranked 14th nationally with 485.6 yards per game.

Under Bell’s tutelage, tight end Eric Ebron was a two-time All-ACC pick and named First Team All-America in 2013. Ebron finished the 2013 season with 973 receiving yards, the most by any tight end in ACC history. Bell’s initial season at UNC saw Ebron triple his output over the previous year, hauling in 40 receptions for 625 yards.

Bell also helped the Tar Heels build a pair of strong recruiting classes. The 2012 class ranked among the top five in the ACC despite a lack of available scholarships, and the 2013 class was among the top four in the conference.

Bell went to North Carolina after coaching wide receivers at Southern Miss. He was part of a Southern Miss offensive staff that helped the Golden Eagles establish school records for total offense with 6,459 yards in 2011. USM ranked 17th in the nation in total offense and 14th in scoring offense as the Golden Eagles had their best season in school history.

Southern Miss won the Conference USA championship over previously unbeaten Houston and then won its school-record 12th game of the year by beating Nevada in the Hawaii Bowl. Bell’s wide receivers were a big reason for USM’s success. The top four receivers on the team all had more than 30 receptions, led by Kelvin Bolden who posted a team-high 58 catches for 671 yards and seven touchdowns. Ryan Ballentine led the team in yards (742) and touchdowns (8) on 49 catches.

Before becoming a full-time assistant at USM, Bell spent one season as the team’s offensive graduate assistant in 2010 when the team played Louisville in the Beef ‘O’ Brady Bowl. With his input, the Golden Eagles set new offensive records for production that year, including a then-school record 5,894 yards and 453.38 yards per game.

Prior to Southern Miss, Bell spent a season as a quality control coach at Oklahoma State. His lone season at OSU saw the Cowboys post a 9-4 record and play in the Cotton Bowl. Before Oklahoma State, Bell worked two years as a graduate assistant at Memphis following his playing days at Middle Tennessee. The Tigers played in back-to-back bowl games during Bell’s tenure at the school, including the 2008 St. Petersburg Bowl and the 2007 New Orleans Bowl.

Bell, a Dickson, Tennessee native, earned both his bachelor’s degree (criminal justice administration, 2005) and master’s degree (sports management, 2006) from Middle Tennessee, where he was a four-year letterman at wide receiver for the Blue Raiders. Bell also worked at Louisiana-Lafayette for one spring following his final season at MTSU.

SEEMS YOU ARE TOO DUMB TO REALIZE I AM COMPARING BELL COMING TO FSU TO MULLEN COMING TO UF IN 2008. Mullen had zero experience. Bell has pretty much everything underlined above but yea he is fucking awful.

Mullen had Alex Smith (even though not the OC) at Utah
Mullen had Tim Tebow at UF
Mullen had Dak Prescott at Mississippi State

Now :stfu
FSUKW

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby FSUKW » January 26th, 2018, 11:48 pm

08GatorBait wrote:Lot of coaches? Then why have none in the history of Miss State. There is a reason every list of top coaches have him in the top 25. Something Taggart, is not. Taggart couldn't even produce a winning record, and was close to being fired at USF his second year. He can't even recruit as well as you guys love to claim. Considering Holtz and Levitt recruited as good, he clearly isn't some recruiting mastermind. Oregon? Had a lot of kids, and will finish outside the top 10 around 17-19 right where they have been for years. Without Cristobal, he isn't an elite recruiter. .

Yes - lots of coaches could win 8 games in the SEC right now. SEC is Top heavy and pretty much sucks.

Why wasn't Mullen your first choice?

:ROFL2
FSUKW

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

PreviousNext

Return to College Football