Predictions for the Top 5 games of Week 2

Dedicated to Nathan, a badass little Duck!

Moderator: JdPat04

Predictions for the Top 5 games of Week 2

Postby theSabanator20 » September 7th, 2013, 2:36 am

1. Texas @ Brigham Young

Mack Brown has not lost many out of conference road games. Not that I can think of. This will be Texas's first test of the year, and its going to be against the best defense in the West not named Stanford. Bronco Mendenhall has had some solid BYU teams in years past, but he has yet to have that signature win against a top tier team. I still think Texas is trying to find its identity as a team, which plays in BYU's favor. They know they have a well-coached, hard-nosed defense. If only they could find their offense... This game could be close for a while, but I think Texas will find their stride late in the 4th, and finish the game on a high note.
Texas 28-14

2. Oregon @ Virginia

Oregon got off to a great start, and looked like the transition from Chip Kelly to Mark Helfrich was unnoticeable. But it was Nicholls State, so most any team in the top 25 would have taken care of them. Virginia faced a tough outing with BYU, but got out of that game with the W. Oregon will bring a completely different look to the Cavs than BYU showed them, from a grind-it-out, time management team to a high speed, turbo-tempo show-no-mercy team; so Virginia will have to adjust on the fly if they want to keep up with the Ducks. I think this game will be very competitive in the first half. But as always with more inferior opponents, Oregon will more than likely drain Virginia's defense and walk it out in the 4th. But Virginia does have a great running game, so if they can get it going on the ground they might have a chance. But I don't see it.
Oregon 41-23

3. Florida @ Miami

Miami is supposedly going to be back this year, but we heard the same thing when Jacorey Harris was QB for the Hurricanes... but this year, they really do look like a solid football team. Solid enough to take down the gnarly Gators? I don't know, but they have a chance if they can pay well enough on offense. Duke Johnson and the Miami O-line have to make a statement if they want to have any chance in this game, because Stephen Morris isn't winning this game with passing yards against quite possibly the nastiest secondary in the nation. That being said, Jeff Driskel has to play smart, or it will be a long day for the Gators. The run game looks solid for both teams and I believe this game will be won in the trenches. Advantage, Florida.
Florida 27-13

4. South Carolina @ Georgia

Steve Spurrier has always made it a priority to beat Georgia. Even at Florida he owned them. But for some reason, every time we think Spurrier has a team ready to make a title run(specifically at SCAR), they go out and lose a game they are expected to win by choking it away i.e. LSU 2012, Florida 2012, Auburn 2011, Arkansas 2011. For some odd reason, Aaron Murray has been a victim of circumstance taking all of the blame for Georgia's losses in years past vs top teams(specifically in his last notable losses, AUB, BSU, MSU, SCAR, BAMA, and CLEM), when in reality, I think it was the defense's fault in most of those losses. I think this will prove to be Aaron Murray's last chance at redeeming his reputation as a historic record breaking Georgia QB. Georgia, much like Clemson, has always played off of momentum. They have to win this game if they want a chance at a national championship. But then again, so does South Carolina. I have this weird gut feeling that Georgia will pull this game out. Not because I think they're that much better than SCAR, but because I have a gut feeling about it. I just see SCAR screwing themselves late, and Todd Gurley putting a number on that defense. I don't know why, but I'm feeling a Georgia win.
Georgia 20-17

5. Notre Dame @ Michigan

OHHHHH BABY!!!! As our horny friend Brent Musberger would say, this is gonna be a whale of a game. Both teams look better than they were last year, on offense and defense. Honestly, it doesn't get much better than Ann Arbor at night. The 2011 game between these two had the same kind of electricity in the air as the Game of the Century between Alabama and LSU(ironically the same year). This year will be no different, as Big Blue and the Irish will play one final hard fought battle on the gridiron in Ann Arbor, Michigan. It is very unfortunate that these 2 will stop playing after next year's game in South Bend. The only rivalry that is a notch above the intensity and competitiveness these two have played with against each other the past several years is Alabama and LSU. This game will no doubt be a knockdown dragout to the end that I WILL be glued to my couch and watching for the entire game. Both teams look so evenly matched, but I have to pick somebody. My gut says Notre Dame, but my heart says Michigan. Love conquers all.
Michigan 27-24 in OT

Even though this week of games is not chock full of good'ns, I think 4 of these games have the potential to be instant classics. Bring it Saturday!!!!
theSabanator20

Team Logo:
Alabama Crimson Tide

Re: Predictions for the Top 5 games of Week 2

Postby Beaver3332 » September 7th, 2013, 3:43 am

I am worried about the trenches especially defensively but if we play well on offense I don't think florida can keep up .
Beaver3332

Postby failureofafriend » September 7th, 2013, 10:05 am

theSabanator20 wrote:1. Texas @ Brigham Young

Mack Brown has not lost many out of conference road games. Not that I can think of. This will be Texas's first test of the year, and its going to be against the best defense in the West not named Stanford. Bronco Mendenhall has had some solid BYU teams in years past, but he has yet to have that signature win against a top tier team. I still think Texas is trying to find its identity as a team, which plays in BYU's favor. They know they have a well-coached, hard-nosed defense. If only they could find their offense... This game could be close for a while, but I think Texas will find their stride late in the 4th, and finish the game on a high note.
Texas 28-14

2. Oregon @ Virginia

Oregon got off to a great start, and looked like the transition from Chip Kelly to Mark Helfrich was unnoticeable. But it was Nicholls State, so most any team in the top 25 would have taken care of them. Virginia faced a tough outing with BYU, but got out of that game with the W. Oregon will bring a completely different look to the Cavs than BYU showed them, from a grind-it-out, time management team to a high speed, turbo-tempo show-no-mercy team; so Virginia will have to adjust on the fly if they want to keep up with the Ducks. I think this game will be very competitive in the first half. But as always with more inferior opponents, Oregon will more than likely drain Virginia's defense and walk it out in the 4th. But Virginia does have a great running game, so if they can get it going on the ground they might have a chance. But I don't see it.
Oregon 41-23

3. Florida @ Miami

Miami is supposedly going to be back this year, but we heard the same thing when Jacorey Harris was QB for the Hurricanes... but this year, they really do look like a solid football team. Solid enough to take down the gnarly Gators? I don't know, but they have a chance if they can pay well enough on offense. Duke Johnson and the Miami O-line have to make a statement if they want to have any chance in this game, because Stephen Morris isn't winning this game with passing yards against quite possibly the nastiest secondary in the nation. That being said, Jeff Driskel has to play smart, or it will be a long day for the Gators. The run game looks solid for both teams and I believe this game will be won in the trenches. Advantage, Florida.
Florida 27-13

4. South Carolina @ Georgia

Steve Spurrier has always made it a priority to beat Georgia. Even at Florida he owned them. But for some reason, every time we think Spurrier has a team ready to make a title run(specifically at SCAR), they go out and lose a game they are expected to win by choking it away i.e. LSU 2012, Florida 2012, Auburn 2011, Arkansas 2011. For some odd reason, Aaron Murray has been a victim of circumstance taking all of the blame for Georgia's losses in years past vs top teams(specifically in his last notable losses, AUB, BSU, MSU, SCAR, BAMA, and CLEM), when in reality, I think it was the defense's fault in most of those losses. I think this will prove to be Aaron Murray's last chance at redeeming his reputation as a historic record breaking Georgia QB. Georgia, much like Clemson, has always played off of momentum. They have to win this game if they want a chance at a national championship. But then again, so does South Carolina. I have this weird gut feeling that Georgia will pull this game out. Not because I think they're that much better than SCAR, but because I have a gut feeling about it. I just see SCAR screwing themselves late, and Todd Gurley putting a number on that defense. I don't know why, but I'm feeling a Georgia win.
Georgia 20-17

5. Notre Dame @ Michigan

OHHHHH BABY!!!! As our horny friend Brent Musberger would say, this is gonna be a whale of a game. Both teams look better than they were last year, on offense and defense. Honestly, it doesn't get much better than Ann Arbor at night. The 2011 game between these two had the same kind of electricity in the air as the Game of the Century between Alabama and LSU(ironically the same year). This year will be no different, as Big Blue and the Irish will play one final hard fought battle on the gridiron in Ann Arbor, Michigan. It is very unfortunate that these 2 will stop playing after next year's game in South Bend. The only rivalry that is a notch above the intensity and competitiveness these two have played with against each other the past several years is Alabama and LSU. This game will no doubt be a knockdown dragout to the end that I WILL be glued to my couch and watching for the entire game. Both teams look so evenly matched, but I have to pick somebody. My gut says Notre Dame, but my heart says Michigan. Love conquers all.
Michigan 27-24 in OT

Even though this week of games is not chock full of good'ns, I think 4 of these games have the potential to be instant classics. Bring it Saturday!!!!

I have the same predictions except I have Miami beating Florida 20-17. That may be wishful thinking. I only have UGA winning as a homer pick. The rational side of me sees no reason to believe that S Car won't win for the 4th year in a row.
failureofafriend

Team Logo:
Atlanta Braves

Postby ericberry14 » September 7th, 2013, 2:44 pm

Lol @ Oregon vs Virginia. If that's a good game at all Oregon is in trouble
ericberry14
Site Admin

Team Logo:
Ohio St Buckeyes

Postby failureofafriend » September 8th, 2013, 3:20 am

I was pretty close on the UF/Miami game.
failureofafriend

Team Logo:
Atlanta Braves

Postby Beaver3332 » September 8th, 2013, 3:40 am

Beaver3332 wrote:I am worried about the trenches especially defensively but if we play well on offense I don't think florida can keep up .

I was right about the trenches except our D handled it well and the OLine got whooped.
Beaver3332

Return to College Football