who would you choose: head coach

Dedicated to Nathan, a badass little Duck!

Moderator: JdPat04

Re: who would you choose: head coach

Postby FSUKW » September 25th, 2013, 2:38 pm

jayuncfan wrote:
JdPat04 wrote:
jayuncfan wrote:
EricBerry14 wrote:Anyone who wouldn't take Saban is stupid or lying

Lol. You think Saban could make Kentucky National Title contenders? Harbaugh is one of the best coaches of the decade. I'm not trying to take anything away from Saban because he's done a great job, but he does not blow Saban out of the water when it comes to who is a better coach.

Is it possible for Saban to blow Saban out of the water?

Ad in college coaching.... Yes Saban does blow harbaugh out of the water

You know what I meant...

And, no he doesn't. Harbaugh was very successful at one of the worst schools in the country. Saban was successful at Alabama, Harbaugh was successful at Stanford.

:wtf are you talking about?

Bama was on probation from 2002 - 2007

Mike Shuka was 26-23 in the 4 seasons prior to Saban (with two .500 seasons, a losing season and one winning season)

Saban was 7-6 his first season there including an embarrassing loss to Louisiana-Monroe. Yes it was BAMA, but he righted a shitty program. You act like he took over a program in the shape of his current program.
FSUKW

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby jayuncfan » September 25th, 2013, 3:37 pm

FSUKW wrote:
jayuncfan wrote:
JdPat04 wrote:
jayuncfan wrote:

Lol. You think Saban could make Kentucky National Title contenders? Harbaugh is one of the best coaches of the decade. I'm not trying to take anything away from Saban because he's done a great job, but he does not blow Saban out of the water when it comes to who is a better coach.

You know what I meant...

And, no he doesn't. Harbaugh was very successful at one of the worst schools in the country. Saban was successful at Alabama, Harbaugh was successful at Stanford.

:wtf are you talking about?

Bama was on probation from 2002 - 2007

Mike Shuka was 26-23 in the 4 seasons prior to Saban (with two .500 seasons, a losing season and one winning season)

Saban was 7-6 his first season there including an embarrassing loss to Louisiana-Monroe. Yes it was BAMA, but he righted a shitty program. You act like he took over a program in the shape of his current program.

Yeah, .500 is so terrible. Stanford was much worse. I gave you the numbers. He took over a program that has history and national titles, it wasn't nearly as good as they are now, but they're a historic program.
jayuncfan

Team Logo:
North Carolina Tarheels

Postby jayuncfan » September 25th, 2013, 4:04 pm

JdPat04 wrote:
jayuncfan wrote:
JdPat04 wrote:
jayuncfan wrote:

You know what I meant...

Yes I know what you meant. I was in jest.

However Stanford is in Cali one of the easiest and most fertile states, and areas there is, tere should always be talent.

Also how well is Stanford doing without Harbaugh?

Yeah... Thought so

Last

List Harbaughs Accomplishments at Stanford or in his Complete college career as I truley do not know the Pre Stanford Harbaugh (don't remember it I should say).

Then compare those to Sabans Accomplishments with coaching at Bama or LSU alone and they wouldn't even compare.

Stanford is doing fine without him because he built the program and his assistant was promoted. I'm pretty sure Alabama would be a top 25 team with Kirby Smart too though. As far as recruiting in California, it's Stanford. He's recruiting against UCLA, USC, and there are academic standards at Stanford which makes recruiting even harder.

And, it's pretty hard to judge Harbaughs accomplishments at Stanford to Sabans accomplishments at Alabama considering how crappy Stanford was compared to Alabama. But I'll try

Harbaugh at Stanford
after taking over a 16-40 (28.57%) team over the past five years
1. 4-8
2. 5-7
3. 8-5
4. 12-1 Orange Bowl win
29-21 (58%) -- 29.42% win increase

Saban
after taking over a team that was 36-27 (57.14%)
1. 7-6
2. 12-2 lost Sugar Bowl
3. 14-0 National Champions
4. 10-3
43-11 (79.63%) --22.49% increase

So, it's hard to tell who actually did better considering Saban had less room for improvement. Could Harbaugh have won a National Title if he took over a half decent program? IMO, yeah he could. Could Saban make Stanford or someone like Wake Forest or Duke a national power? IMO, I'm not sure.

Stanford had the #41 and #54 recruiting class (last in the PAC10 the year before he got there and 7th in the PAC in 2005)
Alabama had the #18 and #11 recruiting class. (5th and 6th in the SEC)

There both great coaches, but there isn't any reason to believe that one is far superior to the other. So I would choose the coach that has proven he can win without top recruits and that can is younger and can coach longer.
jayuncfan

Team Logo:
North Carolina Tarheels

Postby JdPat04 » September 25th, 2013, 6:34 pm

jayuncfan wrote:
JdPat04 wrote:
jayuncfan wrote:
JdPat04 wrote:
jayuncfan wrote:

You know what I meant...

Yes I know what you meant. I was in jest.

However Stanford is in Cali one of the easiest and most fertile states, and areas there is, tere should always be talent.

Also how well is Stanford doing without Harbaugh?

Yeah... Thought so

Last

List Harbaughs Accomplishments at Stanford or in his Complete college career as I truley do not know the Pre Stanford Harbaugh (don't remember it I should say).

Then compare those to Sabans Accomplishments with coaching at Bama or LSU alone and they wouldn't even compare.

Stanford is doing fine without him because he built the program and his assistant was promoted. I'm pretty sure Alabama would be a top 25 team with Kirby Smart too though. As far as recruiting in California, it's Stanford. He's recruiting against UCLA, USC, and there are academic standards at Stanford which makes recruiting even harder.

And, it's pretty hard to judge Harbaughs accomplishments at Stanford to Sabans accomplishments at Alabama considering how crappy Stanford was compared to Alabama. But I'll try

Harbaugh at Stanford
after taking over a 16-40 (28.57%) team over the past five years
1. 4-8
2. 5-7
3. 8-5
4. 12-1 Orange Bowl win
29-21 (58%) -- 29.42% win increase

Saban
after taking over a team that was 36-27 (57.14%)
1. 7-6
2. 12-2 lost Sugar Bowl
3. 14-0 National Champions
4. 10-3
43-11 (79.63%) --22.49% increase

So, it's hard to tell who actually did better considering Saban had less room for improvement. Could Harbaugh have won a National Title if he took over a half decent program? IMO, yeah he could. Could Saban make Stanford or someone like Wake Forest or Duke a national power? IMO, I'm not sure.

Stanford had the #41 and #54 recruiting class (last in the PAC10 the year before he got there and 7th in the PAC in 2005)
Alabama had the #18 and #11 recruiting class. (5th and 6th in the SEC)

There both great coaches, but there isn't any reason to believe that one is far superior to the other. So I would choose the coach that has proven he can win without top recruits and that can is younger and can coach longer.

He didnt prove he could win a NC without top talent
He didnt prove he could win a nc at all

He didnt win the best conference without the best talent
He didnt win the best conference at all

He can't recruit the best

Ill take the coach that can recruit the best
Be the best
Beat the best
And most of all win not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4, and counting NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS with the coaches HE hired AND the players HE recruited.

Not Sabans fault that harbaugh could only Richt it...
JdPat04

Team Logo:
Alabama Crimson Tide

Postby jayuncfan » September 25th, 2013, 8:25 pm

JdPat04 wrote:

Be the best
Beat the best
And most of all win not 1, not 2, not 3, but 4, and counting NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIPS with the coaches HE hired AND the players HE recruited.

You do realize how long Harbaugh was coaching at Stanford, right?
You do realize Saban was recruiting at ALABAMA, right?
You do realize some schools are EASIER to recruit at, right?
Would you rather recruit players to Michigan or Northwestern? Wake Forest or Clemson? Southern Cal or Stanford? Alabama or Vanderbilt?

Also....
Saban didn't prove he could win a National Championship without top talent.
Saban didn't prove he could out-recruit Harbaugh.
jayuncfan

Team Logo:
North Carolina Tarheels

Postby JdPat04 » September 25th, 2013, 11:00 pm

jayuncfan wrote:
JdPat04 wrote:

Be the best
Beat the best

Would you rather recruit players to Michigan or Northwestern? Wake Forest or Clemson? Southern Cal or Stanford? Alabama or Vanderbilt?

Also....

Nowhere did I say Saban proved he could win the NC without it. I did say that Harbaugh proved he couldn't win it at all...

Also if Harbaugh needs excuses like "academics" to fall back on then don't coach at Stanford.

That's almost as bad as 20 crying about CMR's "morals" stopping them from winning it all... :justsayin

Either you got it or you dont.

Harbaugh is a good/great coach but he's no Saban.
JdPat04

Team Logo:
Alabama Crimson Tide

Postby FSUKW » September 25th, 2013, 11:05 pm

Saban's building a Dynasty at Bama. He has 4 NC at two different SEC Schools. That may NEVER happen again.

Harbaugh had one stellar year at Stanford before leaving.

I believe Saban could have done what Harbaugh did at Stanford, but I don't think Harbaugh could have done what Saban is doing at BAMA.

Saban's doing all this in the SEC ffs.
FSUKW

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby jayuncfan » September 25th, 2013, 11:26 pm

JdPat04 wrote:
jayuncfan wrote:
JdPat04 wrote:

Be the best
Beat the best

Also....

Nowhere did I say Saban proved he could win the NC without it. I did say that Harbaugh proved he couldn't win it at all...

Also if Harbaugh needs excuses like "academics" to fall back on then don't coach at Stanford.

That's almost as bad as 20 crying about CMR's "morals" stopping them from winning it all... :justsayin

Again, if you believe Harbaugh proved he could not win a National Championship did you feel the same way about Nick Saban? Did Nick Saban prove he couldn't win a National Championship when he was at Michigan State? That argument makes literally zero sense considering how long it took Harbaugh to be successful at a much worse program.

Harbaugh didn't use academics as an excuse, he could've won a national championship with players that Stanford quality players. It's just factual, you can't recruit the same group of guys. Harbaugh still could've won national titles. Stanford was also his first FBS job so he did leave after a while.

I obviously didn't get it because I don't understand how you can compare the two based on career accomplishments when one coach has coached for FOUR seasons at the FBS level and was arguably as successful as Saban was in his first four seasons at Alabama (which were 8 years into his college career). I don't think you realize how ridiculous it sounds to say that Harbaugh proved he couldn't win a national title, even though it took Saban longer to reach the level of success that Harbaugh did at a worse program.
jayuncfan

Team Logo:
North Carolina Tarheels

Postby jayuncfan » September 25th, 2013, 11:30 pm

FSUKW wrote:Saban's building a Dynasty at Bama. He has 4 NC at two different SEC Schools. That may NEVER happen again.

I believe Saban could have done what Harbaugh did at Stanford, but I don't think Harbaugh could have done what Saban is doing at BAMA.

We'll have to agree to disagree because I think what they accomplished was completely different and not really comparable but if I'm hiring I'm choosing Harbaugh because IMO Harbaugh's resume is as impressive.

I'm pretty sure Harbaugh would've had Stanford considered a dynasty had he stayed, and that would've been 100x more impressive than turning Bama into a powerhouse. But, since he didn't stay we can't compare. I'm basing my decision on what they did given the shape of the programs they took over and the success they had and that's why I'd pick Harbaugh (and because he would be coaching longer).
jayuncfan

Team Logo:
North Carolina Tarheels

Postby FSUKW » September 25th, 2013, 11:48 pm

jayuncfan wrote:
FSUKW wrote:Saban's building a Dynasty at Bama. He has 4 NC at two different SEC Schools. That may NEVER happen again.

We'll have to agree to disagree because I think what they accomplished was completely different and not really comparable but if I'm hiring I'm choosing Harbaugh because IMO Harbaugh's resume is as impressive.

I'm pretty sure Harbaugh would've had Stanford considered a dynasty had he stayed, and that would've been 100x more impressive than turning Bama into a powerhouse. But, since he didn't stay we can't compare. I'm basing my decision on what they did given the shape of the programs they took over and the success they had and that's why I'd pick Harbaugh (and because he would be coaching longer).

You're making a lot of assumptions. Harbaugh NEVER even won his Division of the Pac 10. Saban has 4 NC in the SEC.

and Tyrone Willingham did somewhat decent several years earlier at Stanford and has a similar winning percentage as Harbaugh there, so stop with the disparaged program stuff. (I realize the two coaches before Harbaugh were total dog shit, but so was Mike Shula before Saban). Take away Harbaugh's one season and you have nothing worthy to brag about. Hell, I'd rather have David Shaw based on your argument.

As for the Saban/Michigan State and Harbaugh/Stanford comparison, the OP asks who would you choose now. We have to pick based on what we know now. Not what we assume "could" happen in the future.
FSUKW

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby JdPat04 » September 25th, 2013, 11:57 pm

jayuncfan wrote:
JdPat04 wrote:
jayuncfan wrote:
JdPat04 wrote:

Be the best
Beat the best

Also....

Again, if you believe Harbaugh proved he could not win a National Championship did you feel the same way about Nick Saban? Did Nick Saban prove he couldn't win a National Championship when he was at Michigan State? That argument makes literally zero sense considering how long it took Harbaugh to be successful at a much worse program.

Harbaugh didn't use academics as an excuse, he could've won a national championship with players that Stanford quality players. It's just factual, you can't recruit the same group of guys. Harbaugh still could've won national titles. Stanford was also his first FBS job so he did leave after a while.

I obviously didn't get it because I don't understand how you can compare the two based on career accomplishments when one coach has coached for FOUR seasons at the FBS level and was arguably as successful as Saban was in his first four seasons at Alabama(which were 8 years into his college career). I don't think you realize how ridiculous it sounds to say that Harbaugh proved he couldn't win a national title, even though it took Saban longer to reach the level of success that Harbaugh did at a worse program.

:facepalm
JdPat04

Team Logo:
Alabama Crimson Tide

Postby FSUKW » September 26th, 2013, 12:03 am

jayuncfan wrote:
JdPat04 wrote:
jayuncfan wrote:
JdPat04 wrote:

Be the best
Beat the best

Also....

I obviously didn't get it because I don't understand how you can compare the two based on career accomplishments when one coach has coached for FOUR seasons at the FBS level and was arguably as successful as Saban was in his first four seasons at Alabama (which were 8 years into his college career). I don't think you realize how ridiculous it sounds to say that Harbaugh proved he couldn't win a national title, even though it took Saban longer to reach the level of success that Harbaugh did at a worse program.

It is easy to compare. OP asks who would you choose. We obviously dont have a crystal ball to see what Harbaugh would do over an extended college career. We know what Harbaugh has done, we know what Saban has done. Saban has done more.

I think you miss-typed the "one coach has coached for FOUR seasons at the FBS level and was arguably as successful as Saban was in his first four seasons at Alabama" comment since it is not true.
FSUKW

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby jayuncfan » September 26th, 2013, 12:20 am

Again, Saban reached a higher level of success during those four years, but Harbaugh started at a much lower level and the amount of success he had was IMO pretty much equivalent to what Saban reached. If one coach took over Wake Forest and took them to a BCS bowl and another coach hypothetically took over USC (and suppose they continued to be very mediocre) then you're not going to say judge the two coaches head to head based on their final results. Wake Forest shouldn't do as good as the person Southern Cal, just like Stanford shouldn't have had the same level of success of Alabama. That's why, IMO, what Harbaugh accomplish was as impressive as what Saban accomplished.
jayuncfan

Team Logo:
North Carolina Tarheels

Postby jayuncfan » September 26th, 2013, 12:22 am

FSUKW wrote:
It is easy to compare. OP asks who would you choose. We obviously dont have a crystal ball to see what Harbaugh would do over an extended college career. We know what Harbaugh has done, we know what Saban has done. Saban has done more.

I think you miss-typed the "one coach has coached for FOUR seasons at the FBS level and was arguably as successful as Saban was in his first four seasons at Alabama" comment since it is not true.

You also don't get any better because the coach you hired had success in the past. Harbaugh is 12 years younger, so he probably will be around to coach your team longer.
jayuncfan

Team Logo:
North Carolina Tarheels

Postby FSUKW » September 26th, 2013, 12:28 am

jayuncfan wrote:
FSUKW wrote:

You also don't get any better because the coach you hired had success in the past. Harbaugh is 12 years younger, so he probably will be around to coach your team longer.

:ROFL2 Saban won BCS NC 9 months ago.
FSUKW

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby jayuncfan » September 26th, 2013, 12:42 am

FSUKW wrote:
jayuncfan wrote:
FSUKW wrote:

And that doesn't get you anything. He did it in the past. You're trying to hire a coach that will get you the most titles in the future and Harbaugh will be around longer. Again, I don't think you understand what I'm saying; Saban is a great coach but if you're picking a coach my guess is that they don't leave and in that case I want the one that will be coaching longer. I'm not trying to discount Saban, I'm just saying he won't be around long enough because he's much later into his career than Harbaugh... Is that not true?
jayuncfan

Team Logo:
North Carolina Tarheels

Postby FSUKW » September 26th, 2013, 1:01 am

jayuncfan wrote:
FSUKW wrote:
jayuncfan wrote:
FSUKW wrote:

And that doesn't get you anything. He did it in the past. You're trying to hire a coach that will get you the most titles in the future and Harbaugh will be around longer. Again, I don't think you understand what I'm saying; Saban is a great coach but if you're picking a coach my guess is that they don't leave and in that case I want the one that will be coaching longer. I'm not trying to discount Saban, I'm just saying he won't be around long enough because he's much later into his career than Harbaugh... Is that not true?

I guaranty you no AD looks further than 4 to 7 years out. Saban could easily give you 5 to 8 years easily.

and, I get what you are saying, but somehow what Saban has done (including 9 months ago) = the past, but what Harbaugh has done = the present. What Harbaugh did is impressive, but Stanford went to a BCS Bowl in 1999, so what he did was not some Chirstmas Miracle never seen before.
FSUKW

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby jayuncfan » September 26th, 2013, 1:49 am

FSUKW wrote:
jayuncfan wrote:
FSUKW wrote:
jayuncfan wrote:
FSUKW wrote:

I guaranty you no AD looks further than 4 to 7 years out. Saban could easily give you 5 to 8 years easily.

and, I get what you are saying, but somehow what Saban has done (including 9 months ago) = the past, but what Harbaugh has done = the present. What Harbaugh did is impressive, but Stanford went to a BCS Bowl in 1999, so what he did was not some Chirstmas Miracle never seen before.

I think you're misunderstanding me, Saban has had a better career, but which would you want from this point going forward until they end their career?

Harbaugh has more of a future than Saban because Saban is twelve years further into his career.

And, I never tried to make it seem like what Saban has done is in the past and what Harbaugh did is not in the past. What Harbaugh did doesn't help you either, but he also has more years left. He could flop and do worse than Saban, but he could also do better. That's why I tried looking at what Saban did during the same amount of time Harbaugh coached. One coach took one of the worst AQ schools and made them a national power in four years wheras the other turned a mediocre program into a...mediocre program. We know Saban can have success, we know Harbaugh can have success - but we don't know who can reach the higher level of success. You can't go wrong, but you know that Harbaugh has more time to coach (and in this situation it's relevent because the way I looked at it was that you have them forever, which is completely different than any other real life scenario).

Also, Wake Forest has been to a BCS bowl recently, but winning with them and turning them into a national powerhouse would still be considered extremely impressive, no? More impressive than winning with Miami or Southern Cal, right?
jayuncfan

Team Logo:
North Carolina Tarheels

Postby JdPat04 » September 26th, 2013, 2:14 am

jayuncfan wrote:Again, Saban reached a higher level of success during those four years, but Harbaugh started at a much lower level and the amount of success he had was IMO pretty much equivalent to what Saban reached. If one coach took over Wake Forest and took them to a BCS bowl and another coach hypothetically took over USC (and suppose they continued to be very mediocre) then you're not going to say judge the two coaches head to head based on their final results. Wake Forest shouldn't do as good as the person Southern Cal, just like Stanford shouldn't have had the same level of success of Alabama. That's why, IMO, what Harbaugh accomplish was as impressive as what Saban accomplished.

1. You have no fucking idea how long harbaugh can/will coach.

1.a. He might "Meyer it.
1.b. he might Shula it.
1.c. He could bolt your college team to the pros... Oh wait
1.d. Just really retire because he wants to be with family, not because he has to compete against greater schools and coaches.
1.e. he could die.

2. You have no idea how many years Saban has left. He could coach one more or 15 more.

And EVERY PROGRAM IN THE FUCKING COUNTRY would take Saban with what he has done to this exact moment and then him retiring, quoting, or leaving to another school or pros instead of harbaugh being around for 30 years and just Richting it :justsayin

Also the question again says

Who would you take?

It doesn't say who would you take based on "equal playing ground" aka your "Stanford has to recruit against cal, Ucla, USC" or Stanford is academics" because Saban has to recruit against those same teams and also has to do it from across the country and DOESN'T have the draw of Tuscaloosa being a Beach town, entertainment town, or anything like that. Tuscaloosa is a nice little college town that isnery Alabama friendly, and beautiful with several things to do but its like 60% forwards the bottom of Bama right beside Mississippi which is non that big of a draw.

I also could be mistaken but isn't ND "held to a higher standard"? If so why can they get top talent?

Anyways again. Harbaugh is a good/great coach, yet he is no Saban.
JdPat04

Team Logo:
Alabama Crimson Tide

Postby 08GatorBait » September 26th, 2013, 2:17 am

I'd take Saban if I had a loaded roster right now as is.

If I needed to build, I'd take Jim Harb. Saban isn't going to be around much longer, JD can deny it but the dude will be gone soon the rest of the world already knows that.
08GatorBait

Team Logo:
Florida Gators

PreviousNext

Return to College Football