who would you choose: head coach

Dedicated to Nathan, a badass little Duck!

Moderator: JdPat04

Re: who would you choose: head coach

Postby JdPat04 » September 26th, 2013, 2:20 am

08GatorBait wrote:I'd take Saban if I had a loaded roster right now as is.

If I needed to build, I'd take Jim Harb. Saban isn't going to be around much longer, JD can deny it but the dude will be gone soon the rest of the world already knows that.

Ummm comprehension fail much?
JdPat04

Team Logo:
Alabama Crimson Tide

Postby JdPat04 » September 26th, 2013, 2:23 am

jayuncfan wrote:Again, Saban reached a higher level of success during those four years, but Harbaugh started at a much lower level and the amount of success he had was IMO pretty much equivalent to what Saban reached. If one coach took over Wake Forest and took them to a BCS bowl and another coach hypothetically took over USC (and suppose they continued to be very mediocre) then you're not going to say judge the two coaches head to head based on their final results. Wake Forest shouldn't do as good as the person Southern Cal, just like Stanford shouldn't have had the same level of success of Alabama. That's why, IMO, what Harbaugh accomplish was as impressive as what Saban accomplished.

Also Stanford > Wake Forest past present & future
JdPat04

Team Logo:
Alabama Crimson Tide

Postby jayuncfan » September 26th, 2013, 2:33 am

JdPat04 wrote:
jayuncfan wrote:Again, Saban reached a higher level of success during those four years, but Harbaugh started at a much lower level and the amount of success he had was IMO pretty much equivalent to what Saban reached. If one coach took over Wake Forest and took them to a BCS bowl and another coach hypothetically took over USC (and suppose they continued to be very mediocre) then you're not going to say judge the two coaches head to head based on their final results. Wake Forest shouldn't do as good as the person Southern Cal, just like Stanford shouldn't have had the same level of success of Alabama. That's why, IMO, what Harbaugh accomplish was as impressive as what Saban accomplished.

1. You have no fucking idea how long harbaugh can/will coach.

1.a. He might "Meyer it.
1.b. he might Shula it.
1.c. He could bolt your college team to the pros... Oh wait
1.d. Just really retire because he wants to be with family, not because he has to compete against greater schools and coaches.
1.e. he could die.

2. You have no idea how many years Saban has left. He could coach one more or 15 more.

And EVERY PROGRAM IN THE FUCKING COUNTRY would take Saban with what he has done to this exact moment and then him retiring, quoting, or leaving to another school or pros instead of harbaugh being around for 30 years and just Richting it :justsayin

Also the question again says

Who would you take?

It doesn't say who would you take based on "equal playing ground" aka your "Stanford has to recruit against cal, Ucla, USC" or Stanford is academics" :facepalm because Saban has to recruit against those same teams and also has to do it from across the country and DOESN'T have the draw of Tuscaloosa being a Beach town, entertainment town, or anything like that. Tuscaloosa is a nice little college town that isnery Alabama friendly, and beautiful with several things to do but its like 60% forwards the bottom of Bama right beside Mississippi which is non that big of a draw.

I also could be mistaken but isn't ND "held to a higher standard"? If so why can they get top talent?

Anyways again. Harbaugh is a good/great coach, yet he is no Saban.

Regardless, Harbaugh is a great coach and I would be happy with the decision. I was assuming i'd keep him forever. Obviously I wouldn't choose Harbaugh if he would leave for another program or the NFL, but I wouldn't choose Saban either. Odds are if I'm keeping them forever Harbaugh would be the better candidate. And again, I would take Harbaugh. I was comparing the coaches based on what they did, and Harbaugh had more challenges. It's not like I'm choosing between Stanford and Alabama, when I'm picking a coach they are going to have the same factors, all things will be equal. Saban has the draw of Alabama being a well regarded football school, Bear Bryant and the tradition of Alabama can recruit, just look at recruiting ratings from before Saban.

Yes, Notre Dame is held to a higher standard but they are also a highly regarded football program with a great tradition and many many fans. The fact that all of their games are nationally televised and the fact that they have the name brand of notre dame to help them recruit is also something beneficial that Stanford doesn't have. Look at Duke, Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest, etc. those schools have had a tough time recruiting.

Also, why do you think Harbaugh would Richt it? That's not something that you would assume would happen based on his past experiences.
jayuncfan

Team Logo:
North Carolina Tarheels

Previous

Return to College Football