Racist doorbell

Moderator: JdPat04

Racist doorbell

Postby FuckESPNdotCOM » June 21st, 2023, 3:37 pm

Brandon Jackson works at Microsoft and had the brilliant idea of having a smart home. :insertsarcasm That was his first mistake.

His second mistake was having an automatic greeting on his smart doorbell/doorcam that said "Excuse me, can I help you?" while some dumb nigger Amazon driver was dropping off packages while he (and his entire family) was gone. The driver told on the bad man that the guy who wasn't even there was racist. Amazon decided that is not right and LOCKED HIM OUT OF ALL HIS AMAZON DEVICES!

I reviewed the footage and confirmed that no such comments had been made. Instead, the Eufy doorbell had issued an automated response: "Excuse me, can I help you?" The driver, who was walking away and wearing headphones, must have misinterpreted the message. Nevertheless, by the following day, my Amazon account was locked, and all my Echo devices were logged out.

Source: https://medium.com/@bjax_/a-tale-of-unw ... 1074e3818b

He found out quickly when he got home that his Alexa wasn't responding to his voice commands. Amazon fucking stopped him from using his devices that he paid for with his own money. He was locked out of his Amazon account for an entire week while Amazon tried to figure out what this doorbell (that wasn't their Ring brand) said.

While I think there's a lot of user error in willfully giving control of basic utilities like lights over to internet devices, the thing is these fucktards at Amazon could have seriously crippled his entire family for a week if he had been some brand-loyalist like Apple faggots. I'm pretty sure electrical and water companies have to give you some notice before terminating your service. Thankfully most of his stuff was self-hosted AKA not reliant on Amazon, Google, etc., so he wasn't entirely screwed.

Funnily enough, my brother-in-law had some of those bullshit Alexas in their house for a few months and removed them when he/they realized it was listening to them all the time. He's an Apple faggot, too. I mean I'm a techie but I deleted/never posted most of my accounts and personal data online and sure as fuck wouldn't want a smart home. I was given a free Google Nest or whatever by Google but after failing to sell it and trying to set it up as a simple Bluetooth speaker, it's just collecting dust.

It also reminds me of when smart home dumb people dealt with a Google outage.

I'm sitting here in the dark in my toddler's room because the light is controlled by @Google Home. Rethinking... a lot right now.
-Joe Brown (joemfbrown) December 14, 2020
It's when google is down and you can't heat your home that you realise how scarily reliant you are on google pic.twitter.com/91skOc6kRN
-Alex Dunsdon (@alexdunsdon) December 14, 2020

P.S. There's also a bug on phpBB (the software this site uses) when you use the Unicode apostrophe '. It says there are too few characters (It was previously in the Alex Dunsdon tweet quote). WTF? Is somebody downloading updates to the software for the site or is that automatic?
FuckESPNdotCOM

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Re: Racist doorbell

Postby Muck FcDisney » June 22nd, 2023, 3:17 pm

I was kinda hoping this story was RW propaganda, tbh. This is as dystopian as it gets. How long until:

"We're sorry, you cannot enter your home until further notice."

"What the fuck? Why?"

"On June 17, 2021, at 3:42 pm, you questioned the regime's narrative that COVID vaccines were 100% effective at preventing transmission of COVID."

"So? I was correct."

"Remain where you are, fascist. The authorities have been notified of your location. If you try to escape, you will be executed for treason. Thank you, and have a nice day! And remember: Brawndo ***the Thirst Mutilator***, has electrolytes! It's got what plants crave!"
Muck FcDisney

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby FuckESPNdotCOM » June 23rd, 2023, 1:48 pm

Muck FcDisney wrote:I was kinda hoping this story was RW propaganda, tbh. This is as dystopian as it gets. How long until:

"We're sorry, you cannot enter your home until further notice."

"What the fuck? Why?"

"On June 17, 2021, at 3:42 pm, you questioned the regime's narrative that COVID vaccines were 100% effective at preventing transmission of COVID."

"So? I was correct."

"Remain where you are, fascist. The authorities have been notified of your location. If you try to escape, you will be executed for treason. Thank you, and have a nice day! And remember: Brawndo ***the Thirst Mutilator***, has electrolytes! It's got what plants crave!"

Dune, particularly the prequel novels, talk about how humanity was overthrown by a few antisocial renegades who were quickly overthrown by an AI computer that was given too much control.

I mean science fiction in general has been saying how dumb it is to give machines brains for at least 50 years. But we still have dumbasses acting like it's no big deal and there's nothing wrong with giving AI this kind of power. All they see are money-making opportunities and replacing blue-collar workers (and probably a bunch of white-collar workers, too) with machines.

Ian Malcolm, Jurassic Park wrote:You stood on the shoulders of geniuses to accomplish something as fast as you could. Before you even knew what you had, you patented it, and packaged it and slapped it on a plastic lunch box, now you're selling it.

I realize these are "human" Amazon execs doing this, but the point still stands.
FuckESPNdotCOM

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby Muck FcDisney » June 23rd, 2023, 7:11 pm

Muck FcDisney

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Return to General Discussion