Credit Card advice

Moderator: JdPat04

Credit Card advice

Postby JdPat04 » July 24th, 2022, 4:52 pm

Wanting to get a CC to gain some bonus shit from them. We have the money to pay for all of our stuff but figured why not use the CC and pay it off before getting interest.

Any advice on which ones are good?
JdPat04

Team Logo:
Alabama Crimson Tide

Re: Credit Card advice

Postby FSUKW » July 24th, 2022, 6:37 pm

Depends on what reward you want. Cash, hotel, airlines. Any card is fine so long as there is no annual fee and you do pay it off.
FSUKW

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby FSUKW » July 24th, 2022, 6:40 pm

I do the same. Use an Amex credit card. I can cash it in for hotel nights or gift cards/gifts,
FSUKW

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby FuckESPNdotCOM » July 25th, 2022, 5:30 am

My only advice with credit cards is pay them off in full every month. A banker will likely be able to help you choose one better than any of us, but KW's advice seems good to me.
FuckESPNdotCOM

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby FSUKW » July 25th, 2022, 1:28 pm

Credit cards also offer a level of protection debit cards do not.

If someone were to steal your credit card and use it, the credit card company will investigate and remove the charge (almost immediately). No detriment to your finances.

If someone were to steal your debit card, your bank would investigate same as the credit card but they also freeze your account during investigation so it is inconvenient to use the account, access funds or make any transactions. This process could take weeks and is cumbersome.

Also, if you rent a car, much better to use a credit card. If you were to wreck the car but declined their insurance, they would/could pursue your credit card balance for damages. It’s written in the fine print. This assumes you didn’t assume liability for damages and pursue through your car insurance. Not a big deal if you dispute it with your credit card company. Huge deal if you used a debit card. See above.

Another suggestion. On top of no annual fee, find one that offers a shit load of up front points or cash just to sign up.

Most smart people will tell you to stay away from credit cards, but they do serve a purpose if you are responsible.
FSUKW

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby Muck FcDisney » July 25th, 2022, 2:55 pm

Credit cards are free money. It's best to have as many as you can. Use credit cards to pay off other credit cards as much as possible. If you really want to impress people, get a Discover card.

You will still need a debit card, of course, because you can't buy lottery tickets with credit cards. Fucking fascists!

Also, always buy cars at buy here / pay here places, and refinance as often as possible. Pawn your car title and pay it off over the longest period of time available. Cash your checks at the "We Cash Checks!" places.
Muck FcDisney

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby FuckESPNdotCOM » July 25th, 2022, 3:52 pm

Also,
It's been several years but my bank offered bonus cashback interest (from 1.5% to 1.8%) for every transaction using an e-wallet version. Your phone has to have NFC (Near-Field Communication, in this case used for contactless payment) enabled in order for it to work (usually not an issue but some phones, especially cheaper ones, don't include NFC).

Common e-wallet apps are:
-Google Pay
-Samsung Pay*
-Apple Pay
-Paypal

* In addition to NFC, Samsung Pay has the advantage of MST (Magnetic Secure Transmission) which basically creates a magnetic field that can be used in older swipe card readers that don't have NFC. Of course you also have to use a Samsung phone for that.

I personally use Google Pay pretty much everywhere I can use it, even though my physical CC has contactless payment on it, too.

E-wallet NFC is more secure because:
-real CC number isn't used and people can't see anything but the last 4 digits even if they look at the screen
-phone must be unlocked
-it's easy to turn off NFC in settings if/when you aren't going to use it

Many of these e-wallet or digital wallet apps also support rewards cards (Regal Crown Club, Walgreens, CVS, etc.) and stuff like that, too. I know Google Pay has coupons and deals, sending and receiving money, etc.

The biggest drawback with NFC is that the store has to support it and accept that payment. If you go to Billy's Gas Station that hasn't updated their point-of-sale system since 1995, you're not going to be able to use it (Samsung Pay's MST should work with all card swipes, though). Places that are chains like McDonald's and Walmart should have them regardless of where you live. Google Pay and Apple Pay are the most widely supported.

Above all else, just pay off the card on time and you'll be the one collecting interest instead of paying it.
FuckESPNdotCOM

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby FSUKW » July 25th, 2022, 7:23 pm

Muck FcDisney wrote:Credit cards are free money. It's best to have as many as you can. Use credit cards to pay off other credit cards as much as possible. If you really want to impress people, get a Discover card.

You will still need a debit card, of course, because you can't buy lottery tickets with credit cards. Fucking fascists!

Also, always buy cars at buy here / pay here places, and refinance as often as possible. Pawn your car title and pay it off over the longest period of time available. Cash your checks at the "We Cash Checks!" places.

LOL
FSUKW

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby Muck FcDisney » July 26th, 2022, 2:30 pm

FSUKW wrote:
Muck FcDisney wrote:Credit cards are free money. It's best to have as many as you can. Use credit cards to pay off other credit cards as much as possible. If you really want to impress people, get a Discover card.

LOL

:sh
Muck FcDisney

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby JdPat04 » July 27th, 2022, 1:59 pm

Muck FcDisney wrote:
FSUKW wrote:

LOL

:sh

:dog

Thanks for the info y’all. The only debt we have right now is her student loans and our house/car payment.

However we borrowed the money from my bro to buy the house and car and paying them back less interest than we would have a bank.

I bought my truck cash since I started working when we moved back to Bama. So now we have no major issues financially and will be able to pay any CC debts monthly.

With the rewards I’d prefer cash back over most things but anything is better than nothing lol.

Again…. :thankyou
JdPat04

Team Logo:
Alabama Crimson Tide

Return to General Discussion