Amen

Moderator: JdPat04

Amen

Postby Muck FcDisney » July 27th, 2015, 4:50 pm

Shit has gotten way out of hand. No wonder so many kids shit the bed when finally faced with reality. :facepalm

This didn't cut/paste well. Try the link:

http://nypost.com/2015/07/26/give-paren ... walk-free/

I’m so old that when I was growing up, my stay-at-home mom stayed at home.

She didn’t take me to school. She just waved goodbye and off I walked, starting at age 5. When I got to the one suburban street I had to cross, who was there to ensure my safety?
A 10-year-old in an orange sash. The crossing guard.

No one witnessing this adult-unsupervised scene called 911 because — well, first of all, no one had a cellphone, and second, no one thought it was weird or wrong.

But today, we fear for kids any time they’re on their own. So even though crime is at a 50-year low — lower than when most of us parents were kids — only about 13 percent of American children walk to school.

In part this is because many towns built their new schools on cheap lots at the far edge of developments. And in part it’s because many parents driving to work can easily drop their kids off on the way.

But in part it’s also because it has become downright unusual — and sometimes illegal — to let kids go outside unsupervised.

Illegal?

Well, you’ve probably heard about the Meitiv family in suburban Maryland. Parents Danielle and Alexander let their kids, 10 and 6, walk home from the local park and were investigated not once but twice for child neglect.

Eventually they were cleared of all charges.

But that wasn’t before one incident when the cops picked up the kids and held them for five hours without letting them call home.

Or how about the case just last month of Nicole Jensen in Westbrook, Maine? Her 7-year-old daughter was playing for an hour in the playground down the block — you can see it from the family’s
porch. But someone called 911 to report an unsupervised child, and the cops swooped in.

They took the girl to the precinct and later charged her dumbfounded mom with child endangerment. As the police chief explained to a TV reporter: An hour is “a long time for a 7-year-old girl to be by herself any place, let alone a park.”
Yes, a park is certainly the last place you’d expect to find a child.

And then there’s the case in Austin, Texas, last fall. Kari Anne Roy’s 6-year-old was playing by himself within sight of his house, when a lady spied him and asked him where he lived. She then marched him to the front door, rang the bell and said: “Is this your son? He was all the way down there, with no adult!”

Roy said thank you through gritted teeth and thought that was the end of it.

But then the police came calling. Then Child Protective Services.

An investigator interviewed all three of her kids, asking the 8-year-old if she’d ever seen a movie with people’s private parts. “So my daughter, who didn’t know that things like that exist, does now,” says Roy. “Thank you, CPS.”

These parents were not negligent! Obviously, parents in neighborhoods riddled with drive-bys and drug deals are quite justified in keeping their kids close. But parents who want to let their kids play outside but don’t, for fear of someone calling 911, need relief.

And it looks like they just may get it.

Last week, Sen. Mike Lee (R-Utah) added an amendment to the Every Child Achieves Act giving parents the right to let their kids walk or bike to school without threat of criminal or civil action.

The overall legislation deals with elementary education, which is why Lee framed his provision in terms of getting to and from school. But he believes in Free-Range Kids all around.

“Like many parents, I’ve been disturbed by recent stories of parents being prosecuted for giving their children the kind of age-appropriate independence that adults today remember as normal and happy parts of their own childhoods,” he wrote me in an e-mail. “Unsupervised adventure is part of how children learn, and grow, and build the skills and friendships that prepare them for
life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness.”

Kids deserve their independence, and so do parents — independence from busybodies and authorities who think they know how to raise our kids better than we do.
Muck FcDisney

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Re: Amen

Postby Y4NK33 PL4N3T » July 27th, 2015, 6:55 pm

Muck FcDisney wrote:Shit has gotten way out of hand. No wonder so many kids shit the bed when finally faced with reality. :facepalm

Pretty much.

As a kid I was outside after school 24/7 unsupervised with all the other kids in the neighborhood until dark playing kick ball, man hunt, street hockey, freeze tag, and who knows what the hell else. Half the time our neighborhood group would bike ride a few miles over to neighboring developments or to the local billiards joint that had arcades. Nobody thought twice about it.

Different world now though. If I had kids they'd have fucking Lo Jacks installed in their asses and Go pro camera's surgically attached to their heads. :lol:
Y4NK33 PL4N3T

Team Logo:
UCF Knights

Postby Muck FcDisney » July 28th, 2015, 3:06 pm

Y4NK33 PL4N3T wrote:
Pretty much.

As a kid I was outside after school 24/7 unsupervised with all the other kids in the neighborhood until dark playing kick ball, man hunt, street hockey, freeze tag, and who knows what the hell else. Half the time our neighborhood group would bike ride a few miles over to neighboring developments or to the local billiards joint that had arcades. Nobody thought twice about it.

Yes! I've yet to meet anyone who said differently.

Y4NK33 PL4N3T wrote:Different world now though. If I had kids they'd have fucking Lo Jacks installed in their asses and Go pro camera's surgically attached to their heads. :lol:

Well, yes, because the technology is available. But I don't think the world is more dangerous for kids now. The dangers are just more widely reported.
Muck FcDisney

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby JdPat04 » July 28th, 2015, 4:03 pm

I was outside all the time but always with my brother, and or cousins. We lived in the county so it wasn't as many kids in a close area as a city. No lie there was a trailer park about a mile down the road so we would play football when we got enough of them to play.

He and I would always go to creek in the summer and on weekends a mile up the road. We never had any problems except for one dumbass who was driving by and there was a stray dog chasing his car and I threw a rock at the dog. The stupid fuck stopped (I was like 11) and he tried to start something with me. I told him to shut up and told him what I was doing and that his piece of shit car didn't get touched by the rock so to go on before I went to the persons house we was in front of and started banging on the door and screaming for help. He left real fucking fast.

However I wouldn't let mine do that as easily as we did then. EVEN though it's honestly safer for them. If they have phones it's safer. There are more cameras, there are the amber alerts, more technology and ways to find them IF something does happen.

I won't let it happen because I have anxiety issues and I worry about everything and anything that can happen. I don't even like going places anymore. I worry about what dumbass is on some drug cocktail and will stab somebody or act like a zombie. Or what stupid fucks are in the parking lot with a rolling meth lab OR walking around with one in their jacket. Whether or not this is the day that some crazy fuck, some hateful fuck, or some terrorist fuck wants to kill a lot of people. Wether or not somebody wants to rob some people, or just attack people.
JdPat04

Team Logo:
Alabama Crimson Tide

Postby Y4NK33 PL4N3T » July 28th, 2015, 5:47 pm

Muck FcDisney wrote:Well, yes, because the technology is available. But I don't think the world is more dangerous for kids now. The dangers are just more widely reported.

Hmm...gotta think about that one. :thought
Y4NK33 PL4N3T

Team Logo:
UCF Knights

Postby gatrnation1 » July 30th, 2015, 3:04 am

The pussification continues...

1. Kids never hearing the word "no" from their parents have a harsh reality when they leave the nest.

2. Kids that bring their parents to an interview? Fuck you all, next.

3. Can't use red ink to grade papers because it will hurt their feelings? Fuck you, study.

4. All teams get trophy's so no feelings are hurt? Eat a dick, if you can't play, ESPN has a job for you!
gatrnation1

Team Logo:
Florida Gators

Postby Y4NK33 PL4N3T » July 30th, 2015, 3:05 am

gatrnation1 wrote:The pussification continues...

1. Kids never hearing the word "no" from their parents have a harsh reality when they leave the nest.

2. Kids that bring their parents to an interview?Fuck you all, next.

3. Can't use red ink to grade papers because it will hurt their feelings? Fuck you, study.

4. All teams get trophy's so no feelings are hurt? Eat a dick, if you can't play, ESPN has a job for you!

:ays
Y4NK33 PL4N3T

Team Logo:
UCF Knights

Postby Muck FcDisney » July 30th, 2015, 4:30 am

Y4NK33 PL4N3T wrote:

2. Kids that bring their parents to an interview?Fuck you all, next.

:ays

:shock:

That is some faggot ass shit.
Muck FcDisney

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby A10Rebel » July 31st, 2015, 1:58 pm

Do they take their mother's boob out of their mouth when asked a question?
A10Rebel

Team Logo:
Ole Miss Rebels

Postby MIAMIDOMINATION » August 3rd, 2015, 7:04 pm

A10Rebel wrote:

Do they take their mother's boob out of their mouth when asked a question?

MIAMIDOMINATION

Team Logo:
Boston Red Sox

Postby mrfree » August 3rd, 2015, 10:28 pm

No way someone takes their parents to an interview....I need a link for that
mrfree

Team Logo:
Miami Hurricanes

Return to General Discussion