Trying to buy from private buyer

Moderator: JdPat04

Re: Trying to buy from private buyer

Postby 08GatorBait » June 22nd, 2015, 8:00 pm

aTahmission wrote:
08GatorBait wrote:
Y4NK33 PL4N3T wrote:Weren't you going broke like 6 months back? Stop buying dumb shit.

No I had a second job for more spending money. Which I still have. That money pays for dates, eating out, etc. So I can save substantially more

I went to a place called balance years ago because I was always broke.

Learned how to balance my budget. I'm a cheap son of a bitch.

And buying a bike is something I've wanted for years. Don't understand why doing it is dumb? 1. Better gas milage - I did the math. With how much I drive, cutting a substantial amount of gas out of my cost would be awesome. I'd save 75-80 bucks a month driving it to work at back cause I work a decent distance from my home. So I'd basically have payments that minus the gas savings that would be near 120-150 a month. That's really not a lot of money...very easily covered in my "extra" part of my budget.

I'd be a bit careful with this expectation. I've had bikes for decades now and I long since moved past the notion I was doing it to save money. When i first graduated from UofM and moved to Connecticut I had an old jalopy of a car and my motorcycle. I rode the thing exclusively for 3 out of the 4 seasons, and I may have broken even if I generously calculate my budget. You have to consider that even though gas mileage will be increased, maintenance costs are probably going to offset the difference. Now a Harley isn't really intended to, you know, turn, so you may not need to replace the tires as often as I have, but I'd toss about $500 at tire replacements every 4000-5000 miles or so. Additionally, components are more expensive to replace, and given your age and the value of a Harley, insurance may not be the cheapest thing in the world. I also have to caution you about buying a Harley. If you buy it purely for the image then fine, but it should be noted that the cost-to-feature/performance ratio is pretty poor for Harley's, so there's not a huge amount of value. If you plan to just cruise the strip a bit on Saturday night then it'll do you fine, but any long trips or repeated use are only so/so. I'd guide pretty lengthy trips for friends with Harley's on my sport bike (e.g., central Connecticut to Lake George, NY at about 5 hours one way) and they'd always get tired out much sooner than me (on a sport bike!), and the things were pigs to toss side to side on the twisty roads around here. If I were going to spend Harley money for a motorcycle I'd go with something European (BMW, Ducati, Aprilia, et al). They are a blast to ride, gorgeous, and packed with features. In fact, I sold my Honda this summer and am looking to replace it with something a bit better as a cruiser (http://www.bmwmotorcycles.com/us/en/bik ... rview.html). A Harley motorcycle from today is nearly indistinguishable from one built in the mid 90's, so you're really not getting much for your money.

Yea Harley wheels are substantially longer lasting though no side tread. Insurance quote I got from All state is less than 60 a month for full coverage(though basic).

The big difference between to day and 90's is they are much better bikes. Harley got away with pushing shitty bikes for years because of the engine. They've really done a lot to change that(I have a few friends who work there who used to hate Harley's as a lot of people do, but they are actually good bikes now finally).

So far I've gotten on a Shadow, a Rebel(lol fuck that bike), and a Ninja 300 to test drive from friends. And the 883 at Harley. So far the Harley wins hands down. If I got a sports bike though I couldn't get the ones where I have to lay down basically on the bike. It's simply not comfortable to me. I'm still not completely decided honestly. I'd like to test drive everything possible because I want to use it pretty much daily. Don't plan on making 10 hour trips with it much more for city driving and occasionally taking 1-2 hour trips. Remember I am short though, and I don't want a bike I can't put my feet on the ground.
08GatorBait

Team Logo:
Florida Gators

Previous

Return to General Discussion