GA now has the Todd Gurley Bill

Moderator: JdPat04

GA now has the Todd Gurley Bill

Postby JdPat04 » May 7th, 2015, 11:27 pm

ATLANTA (AP) — Gov. Nathan Deal has signed into law what's been dubbed the "Todd Gurley bill" — making it a crime punishable by up to a year in prison to entice student athletes to break NCAA rules for money.

Deal's office said Thursday that he had signed House Bill 3, numbered to reflect the jersey number of the famous former University of Georgia running back who was kicked off the Bulldogs' football team for four games last fall for accepting money for autographs.

Gurley may never need to sell another autograph — he was the 10th overall pick in the NFL draft last week, meaning he's in line to be paid a lot of money.

Gurley was a leading contender for the Heisman Trophy last year when he was suspended for accepting money from a memorabilia dealer for autographs: $400 on jerseys and other items. Then he suffered a year-ending knee injury his first game back and announced in December he'd end his collegiate career to put his name in the hat for the NFL draft.

He gambled that the knee injury he suffered after the suspension wouldn't hurt him in the draft and he was right.

Gurley became the first back selected in the first round of the NFL draft since 2012 and will play for the St. Louis Rams.

Angered that a dealer — and a Florida fan at that — had not only arranged for the signature sales but then tried to sell the story to the highest media bidder, state Rep. Barry Fleming, R-Harlem, started thinking about drafting a bill to prevent future shenanigans.

"That's what really got most peoples' dander up," said Fleming, a rabid Bulldogs fan with undergraduate and law degrees from UGA. "I was disappointed when it happened. But I understand the young man comes from a very humble background. His mother didn't have funds to properly repair the roof on the trailer she raised him in."

The law has two possible penalties, one criminal, one civil, Fleming said.

"We plugged it into a law about alumni being overzealous," he said. "Now it's a misdemeanor of a high and aggravated nature. It can be up to a year in jail and a $5,000 fine.

"On the civil side, the university can sue the person who does this for any damages sustained, like losing a TV contract, not going to bowl games."

The new law is not retroactive, but that doesn't mean UGA won't sue the dealer, he said.

"It's a good law," he added. "Now dealers know they can lose money and get in real trouble."

Fleming said he believes financially disadvantaged players should get some sort of stipend because "many of them can't get a job, for obvious reasons. They're spending all their time practicing."

He said when the news broke that Gurley would be suspended, "I got mad. It hurt our season and Todd Gurley himself."

And what really made him mad was that the dealer wasn't on the hook for a fine or jail time.

The Gurley bill won overwhelming approval in both chambers.
JdPat04

Team Logo:
Alabama Crimson Tide

Re: GA now has the Todd Gurley Bill

Postby JdPat04 » May 7th, 2015, 11:27 pm

However I thought 20 said it was already against the law to do it?
JdPat04

Team Logo:
Alabama Crimson Tide

Postby HUNKERED DOWN DAWG » May 7th, 2015, 11:45 pm

JdPat04 wrote:However I thought 20 said it was already against the law to do it?

No, but like the article said, the university could sue for loss revenue if that were to happen. I don't know if other states have that law or not.
HUNKERED DOWN DAWG

Team Logo:
Georgia Bulldogs

Postby JdPat04 » May 7th, 2015, 11:50 pm

HUNKERED DOWN DAWG wrote:
JdPat04 wrote:However I thought 20 said it was already against the law to do it?

No, but like the article said, the university could sue for loss revenue if that were to happen. I don't know if other states have that law or not.

No he didn't say it or no it's not true?

And not that I have ever heard about other states
JdPat04

Team Logo:
Alabama Crimson Tide

Postby ericberry14 » May 8th, 2015, 2:04 am

what a dumbass law :facepalm
ericberry14
Site Admin

Team Logo:
Ohio St Buckeyes

Postby JdPat04 » May 8th, 2015, 3:34 am

ericberry14 wrote:what a dumbass law :facepalm

I like it
JdPat04

Team Logo:
Alabama Crimson Tide

Postby Muck FcDisney » May 8th, 2015, 1:29 pm

AP needs to do a little more research. :dog

Gurley sought out the dealer, not the other way around. He was enticed by money in general, not any individual. Is UGA going to sue money and put money in jail?

He also took $3,000+. $400 was a single transaction.

Should be called the Butthurt-too-little-too-late-kneejerk-reaction-but-UGA-will-always-fail-anyway law.
Muck FcDisney

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby MIAMIDOMINATION » May 8th, 2015, 3:51 pm

good thing its not against the law to finish third or lower in the SEC east, or the entire tennessee team would be locked up after next season
MIAMIDOMINATION

Team Logo:
Boston Red Sox

Postby ericberry14 » May 8th, 2015, 6:12 pm

MIAMIDOMINATION wrote:

good thing its not against the law to finish third or lower in the SEC east, or the entire tennessee team would be locked up after next season

Another bet brewing? No you wouldn't do that would you.... Pussy
ericberry14
Site Admin

Team Logo:
Ohio St Buckeyes

Postby Muck FcDisney » May 8th, 2015, 7:55 pm

:popcorn
Muck FcDisney

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Return to General Discussion