Coaching Cullen’s baseball team.

Moderator: JdPat04

Re: Coaching Cullen’s baseball team.

Postby Muck FcDisney » April 15th, 2024, 1:46 pm

FSUKW wrote:Wanna have some fun.

Teach your players the “3 ball walk” trick play that’s really a steal.

Runner on first or second (or both).

Batter has a 2-0 count. (Or 2-1, doesn’t really matter as long as it’s 2 balls and less than 2 strikes). On the 3rd pitch, if it’s a ball have your batter slow trot to first like he thinks it’s ball 4. He’s gotta sell it like he really thinks it’s ball 4. This will confuse the catcher, pitcher and more than likely the fielders. At the same time the runner on first and/or second slow trot to the next base to help sell thinking it’s ball 4. By the time the umpire calls the batter back, the runner(s) are safe at the next base. Once they get half way, they take off running. Perfectly legal.

The opposing coach will be pissed. LOL

I did this about 10 times in 8 years coaching (Travel Ball). Never once failed.

Bush league. Batter gets one to the helmet on the next pitch.
Muck FcDisney

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby JdPat04 » April 15th, 2024, 2:41 pm

Muck FcDisney wrote:

Batter has a 2-0 count. (Or 2-1, doesn’t really matter as long as it’s 2 balls and less than 2 strikes). On the 3rd pitch, if it’s a ball have your batter slow trot to first like he thinks it’s ball 4. He’s gotta sell it like he really thinks it’s ball 4. This will confuse the catcher, pitcher and more than likely the fielders. At the same time the runner on first and/or second slow trot to the next base to help sell thinking it’s ball 4. By the time the umpire calls the batter back, the runner(s) are safe at the next base. Once they get half way, they take off running. Perfectly legal.

Yeah, it’s funny but I’m trying to teach them good sportsmanship. It’s easy enough to steal bases right now, so we shouldn’t have to rely on that.

My pitcher said last week, when I went to the mound to talk to him. “Coach, I have an idea. I’m going to hand you the ball and you walk it to the 3rd baseman and the runner will think I have the ball and then the 3rd BM can get him out.”

I laughed at it, but told him that’s cheating and we didn’t need to rely on cheating to win. He was going to strike them out, and if he didn’t, then we’d rely on our defense to get them out.

We played Friday night and the kids on both teams were congratulatin the others and giving them high fives and stuff when they did good. I told all the kids they had great sportsmanship and I was proud of them. Made sure to tell the other coach his kids were great with their sportsmanship too.

I won’t let my kids scream in the dugout at the pitcher either. They can make some noise, but as soon as the pitcher starts his wind up, they are to stop. I tell them to cheer on their teammates and worry about our team, not the opposing team.

I know things will change when they get into middle school and high school, but I just want them having fun and having good sportsmanship right now.

Insert EB’s reply calling me gay now.

:lolthumb
JdPat04

Team Logo:
Alabama Crimson Tide

Postby Muck FcDisney » April 15th, 2024, 5:33 pm

JdPat04 wrote:My pitcher said last week, when I went to the mound to talk to him. “Coach, I have an idea. I’m going to hand you the ball and you walk it to the 3rd baseman and the runner will think I have the ball and then the 3rd BM can get him out.”

I laughed at it, but told him that’s cheating and we didn’t need to rely on cheating to win.

You can have a mound meeting and the pitcher can hand the ball to the 3rd baseman then. I don't know that the coach can act as courier.

Not cheating, but it's a balk if the pitcher touches the rubber without the ball.

Also bush league.

I unleashed all sorts of hell on teams that pulled this shit. :dog
Muck FcDisney

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby JdPat04 » April 15th, 2024, 6:11 pm

Muck FcDisney wrote:
JdPat04 wrote:My pitcher said last week, when I went to the mound to talk to him. “Coach, I have an idea. I’m going to hand you the ball and you walk it to the 3rd baseman and the runner will think I have the ball and then the 3rd BM can get him out.”

I laughed at it, but told him that’s cheating and we didn’t need to rely on cheating to win.

You can have a mound meeting and the pitcher can hand the ball to the 3rd baseman then. I don't know that the coach can act as courier.

Not cheating, but it's a balk if the pitcher touches the rubber without the ball.

Also bush league.

I unleashed all sorts of hell on teams that pulled this shit. :dog

Yea I’m pretty sure it was illegal lol. I just found it funny with some of the shit they come up with to try and win.

I want them to win outright and be proud of themselves for it. We had 2 games rained out last week, and got to play one on Friday.

That game we got beat. The team came in cocky and I told them they better be ready. After our first at bat, I knew we would have a hard time winning because their team fielded the ball really well, and made great base throws.

It was 6-3 after the first two innings, and then I started another pitcher who has never pitched in a game and is playing his first season. They scored 7 that inning, but I didn’t pull him. I wanted him to find his zone and get confidence in himself. He ended up striking two of them out and we got one out with a play.
JdPat04

Team Logo:
Alabama Crimson Tide

Postby ericberry14 » April 15th, 2024, 8:17 pm

When I was pitching in little league the first mound visit I ever had the coach walked to the mound but after that they said the coach isn’t supposed to be in fair territory so any other “mound visit” the pitcher had to walk to the baseline of whichever side their dugout was on. Dumb as fuck.

Also someone put the funny Asian dude from community yelling “ha GAY” on Jds gay sportsmanship post ( :dog )
ericberry14
Site Admin

Team Logo:
Ohio St Buckeyes

Postby JdPat04 » April 15th, 2024, 8:47 pm

ericberry14 wrote:When I was pitching in little league the first mound visit I ever had the coach walked to the mound but after that they said the coach isn’t supposed to be in fair territory so any other “mound visit” the pitcher had to walk to the baseline of whichever side their dugout was on. Dumb as fuck.

Also someone put the funny Asian dude from community yelling “ha GAY” on Jds gay sportsmanship post ( :dog )

[ img ]
JdPat04

Team Logo:
Alabama Crimson Tide

Postby FSUKW » April 16th, 2024, 1:09 am

Muck FcDisney wrote:

Soft ass opinion.

Let me guess, you don’t like delayed steals, fake bunts, hidden ball trick (never did this one).

We had fun. Never needed anything like that to win.
FSUKW

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby Muck FcDisney » April 16th, 2024, 12:45 pm

FSUKW wrote:Soft ass opinion.

:biglol What? It's a universal opinion among non-bush league players/coaches.

FSUKW wrote:Let me guess, you don’t like delayed steals

No problem with that.

FSUKW wrote:fake bunts

Which kind?
The one where you fake bunt, then swing away is just a good way to prevent the 3rd baseman from cheating up too much.
The one where you just wave your bat in front of the catcher and clearly have no intention of bunting or swinging is gay, and rarely works. Bush leaguers think it works, but it's usually just because the pitcher has shit control anyway. I played this chump team once that had every batter stand in the left-hand batters box (they were all righties) and fake bunt on the first pitch, then they would switch over to the right side. I just lobbed every first pitch right down the middle for a free strike. I don't think they quit doing it until the 4th inning or so. Retards.

FSUKW wrote:hidden ball trick (never did this one).

Bush league, as I noted in the comment above.

FSUKW wrote:We had fun. Never needed anything like that to win.

Why do it then? That's the baseball equivalent of running a triple reverse WR pass, fake punt, onside kick, etc when you're up by 4 TDs in the 4th quarter. :jerkit
Muck FcDisney

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby FSUKW » April 16th, 2024, 1:48 pm

Muck FcDisney wrote:

No problem with that.

Which kind?
The one where you fake bunt, then swing away is just a good way to prevent the 3rd baseman from cheating up too much.
The one where you just wave your bat in front of the catcher and clearly have no intention of bunting or swinging is gay, and rarely works. Bush leaguers think it works, but it's usually just because the pitcher has shit control anyway. I played this chump team once that had every batter stand in the left-hand batters box (they were all righties) and fake bunt on the first pitch, then they would switch over to the right side. I just lobbed every first pitch right down the middle for a free strike. I don't think they quit doing it until the 4th inning or so. Retards.

Why do it then? That's the baseball equivalent of running a triple reverse WR pass, fake punt, onside kick, etc when you're up by 4 TDs in the 4th quarter. :jerkit

Your MLB career must have been super amazing!
FSUKW

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby Muck FcDisney » April 16th, 2024, 3:13 pm

FSUKW wrote:
Muck FcDisney wrote:

No problem with that.

Which kind?

Your MLB career must have been super amazing!

Soft ass response.
Muck FcDisney

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby ericberry14 » April 16th, 2024, 3:58 pm

No more onside kicks you fucking pussies!
ericberry14
Site Admin

Team Logo:
Ohio St Buckeyes

Postby Muck FcDisney » April 16th, 2024, 6:21 pm

ericberry14 wrote:No more onside kicks you fucking pussies!

:dunno

Is this an NFL thing? If so, :whogivesafuck
Muck FcDisney

Team Logo:
Florida St Seminols

Postby ericberry14 » April 16th, 2024, 9:16 pm

Muck FcDisney wrote:
ericberry14 wrote:No more onside kicks you fucking pussies!

:dunno

Is this an NFL thing? If so, :whogivesafuck

Yeah it’s some gay new rule
ericberry14
Site Admin

Team Logo:
Ohio St Buckeyes

Previous

Return to General Discussion